GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script No Leccy Bill For 2 years :) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Leccy Bill For 2 years :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Leccy Bill For 2 years :)

Hi,

I have been a lurker on the forum for ages and have used some of the great advice... Anyhoo.. Just over 2 years ago my family and i moved into a brand new property, Electric was already connected and in the name of our landlord he transferred it over to us... We have had letters from the company informing us they are our provider, the price per unit has gone down... they are symplifying bills.... just generic letters that I guess were being sent to other customers...UNTIL this week we have a letter saying they want to come and read the meter (outside meter so no excuse for not reading it before)!!!! Which is fine as I knew it would happen some time.

What I'm wondering is after reading something somwhere about them having a certain amount of time to ask for money and if they don't they don't get it Am I clutching at straws or can I tell them to go swivel when they ask for the 2 years worth??

Be blunt be brutal

Re: No Leccy Bill For 2 years

Have a look here Chezzie
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...or_a_while.htm

Comment

Hi Chez,
      Welcome to the forum, glad you decided to sign up.
      A similar thing happened to my brother (i think it was almost 12 months) and they said they would start billing him from the meter reading they took on that day.
      Fingers crossed!
      Best SA
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It's basically called back billing which means only the previous 12 months they can request so if you'd not been billed for 5 years; the four oldest years is written off and you'd be liable for the last year.

Interestingly we've not had a bill in 2 years either but I've got a live DD set-up which is never used so it's entirely 100% their fault. I understand I'll be liable but it'll be at my terms (ie £10pm arrears)
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ha ha, from what i've read your terms are exactly how i should play it

I shall see what happen after Thursday and then come back for more advice.

Many Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I've not had one for a good 12 months either.

Looking at the link UE provided it does state

"If you have made efforts to contact your supplier and they failed to provide a bill, they cannot charge you for energy you used more than a year ago.If you have not made reasonable efforts to contact your supplier or did not co-operate with their requests for meter readings, then you will be liable to pay the whole debt."

I've been dreading the bill coming so have been holding on for my Mums probate to come through so I'd be able to pay. Hopefully they wont bill me until it does then I can start dropping them letters.

Comment

Haha and if by magic, the man knocks on the door to read the meter , mind you they've done that before and we've still not had a bill Last time I spoke to them on the phone which was some time back I said that I hadn't had a bill and they couldn't understand why as the system was set up so I should and they were going to speak to the relevent Dept.

Comment

I am backkk

Right had a letter saying someone had to be home yesterday between 8am and 1pm so they could read the meter.........Nobody turned up so a wasted half a day!! Then today i have received a letter dated the 10th Feb 2015 saying it is a reminder for £1433.76 This is the first letter in 2 years with an amount. How they can send the bill letter when they didn't have a supposed reading until yesterday is a little puzzling.

Any ideas how I go about challenging at least a years worth?

TIA

Chezzie

Comment

Originally posted by Chezzie View Post
                  I am backkk

Right had a letter saying someone had to be home yesterday between 8am and 1pm so they could read the meter.........Nobody turned up so a wasted half a day!! Then today i have received a letter dated the 10th Feb 2015 saying it is a reminder for £1433.76 This is the first letter in 2 years with an amount. How they can send the bill letter when they didn't have a supposed reading until yesterday is a little puzzling.

Any ideas how I go about challenging at least a years worth?

TIA

Chezzie
                  Hi,

Sorry can't help with how to pay just 12 months worth but had to laugh re the letter, EDF were very fond of sending letters with reminder in the title stating something along the lines of " despite our letters you have failed to pay etc etc" there were no letters

Comment

So today postie drops a letter through from EDF which is my annual electricity summary, never had one before to my knowledge though. It gives me my leccy usage summary and tells me that over the last 12 months i've used £1200 and if I use the same amount in the next 12 months it will cost the same.

On the reverse it gives info about my tariff which states payment method cash/cheque quarterly.

I'm not getting the bills through though. I'd previously built up arrears and was paying an amount per month to pay that off and I was then paying quarterly when the new bill came in. We got a red demand for the final payment of the arrears arrangement which was paid and I phoned to query the amount and stated I'd had no bill, the advisor couldn't understand why and was going to query it but we've had no bills since and as we've not had enough to pay it anyway we've not done anything about it. Last payment was nearly a year ago

I know this can't carry on but if it's true they can only charge for 12 months then that's what I want to be able to do, preferably spread over 12 months along with a payment towards ongoing usage so around £200 per month. Or should I simply start paying them, or even carry on getting free leccy for life haha

Comment

Well they've sent a miriad of bills to make it look like indiviual backdated ones! Then a letter saying they "COULD ENTER MY PROPERTY" ( i did have a chuckle at that even though i know they can way down the line)no red bill lol and then a letter from what i presume is an inhouse debt collection team! I have written to them over
                      the years and received no response So i have emailed them via their page...i emailed over a week ago and have received nothing i shall probably email them again next week letting them know I am making a complaint and then make the complaint.

If they decide not to bother contacting me for another 2 years all well and good... one can dream lol

Comment

Ok so I'm Back

Today i have received bills going back to April 2013, (They say I asked for these documents I haven't) and according to one They have an actual meter reading and wanted £669 in november 2013 So they are telling me they have waited until now to start proceedings to get the money??? In the documents/bills they have sent there are no red bills no final demands etc etc...have they made all this up??? Also the bills do not have the correct house name on them!!

Any ideas on where I go from here?

Comment

Originally posted by Chezzie View Post
                          Well they've sent a miriad of bills to make it look like indiviual backdated ones! Then a letter saying they "COULD ENTER MY PROPERTY" ( i did have a chuckle at that even though i know they can way down the line)no red bill lol and then a letter from what i presume is an inhouse debt collection team! I have written to them over
                          the years and received no response So i have emailed them via their page...i emailed over a week ago and have received nothing i shall probably email them again next week letting them know I am making a complaint and then make the complaint.

If they decide not to bother contacting me for another 2 years all well and good... one can dream lol
                          Energy UK Code of Practice for Accurate Bills that stipulates no customer should have to cover a payment shortfall dating back more than 12 months, if the supplier was at fault.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...#ixzz3XC7Rejzj
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think from your letters, they initially demanded around £1200 from you, they then proceeded to send you a letter showing you had used roughly 1200 in the last 12 months, both confirm, that is the arrears they are allowed to claim. i.e 1200 over last 12 months and no further.

If it were me, i would say that as you had never received any bills nor demands for payment, it is their error, and you will only repay the last 12 months of arrears (1200) over the next 12 months in installments.

if they argue, point out to them the Energy UK Code of Practice for Accurate Bills as stated and linked by The Tech Clerk above

Comment

Many Thanks for the replies.....

Yesterday I had one of their what I presume is one of their inhouse dca(?) knock on the door wanting payment.....I told him we were in dispute as i had received no bills until recently he duly wrote that down on his form then asked again if we had paid anything and again I said NO as we were in dispute with them for BACK BILLING that seemed to shut him up!! ( he gave me a piece of paper that said they could get an order to enter and that he knocked at 9.30am....I'm guessing NPower can't tell the time either as it was 10.30am!! He then said I have to read the meter I'm guessing to get access to the house so I told him to go ahead as it was outside round the corner which he didn't seem to happy about.. I just closed the door on him and let him figure out out to move the bins

I have emailed NPower again and I shall be putting together a formal complaint to the relevent (all) people i can get email addresses for

We moved in here in January 2013... according to them we've used £1750ish worth of leccy... so if you divide that up they should only be getting £850ish minus any compensation (ha ha yeah right) Plus for the 1st 6 months there were 4 of us living here and for 18 months there been 3 so that could make a difference to maybe...( i'm just rambling )

Comment

Working...
                              X