GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Non disclosure - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non disclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non disclosure

Apparently , there are certain things that you do not need to disclose to an insurance company unless either asked directly or it is in the list of assumptions.
    Recently I took contents insurance with Yorkshire Bank and it was done over the phone. Once the paperwork came through I thought I should disclose just in case ( I wasn't aware about there being no need as I hadn't been asked )
    It turns out that they may well now cancel the policy

I have found an alternative for £60 per year more and just wonder if people think I should complain to the YB?

Re: Non disclosure

What exactly would the body of your complaint be? that you gave up information they hadn't asked for and as a result refused your policy? I cant see how that will wash.

The best advice an advisor ever gave me was, if they don't ask, don't tell. And ive stuck to that ever since.

Unless they specifically ask you, or if form filling, a question is asked, you do not give more information than what is needed.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat View Post
      Apparently , there are certain things that you do not need to disclose to an insurance company unless either asked directly or it is in the list of assumptions.
      Recently I took contents insurance with Yorkshire Bank and it was done over the phone. Once the paperwork came through I thought I should disclose just in case ( I wasn't aware about there being no need as I hadn't been asked )
      It turns out that they may well now cancel the policy

I have found an alternative for £60 per year more and just wonder if people think I should complain to the YB?
      What was it that you didn't disclose? Seems a bit extreme that they will cancel the policy based on a non-disclosure unless it pushed the content total value above the policy limits, or you've added singular items that are over a certain value or some other reason that breaches their t&c's.

Though I notice you've said they may cancel the policy - so have they or haven't they?
      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

They have tried to phone me a couple of times and when I phone back they will not tell me the answer. The disclosure was a non motoring conviction . The thing is I would happily have said if asked but as the advisor had wanted to meet her friend for lunch she arranged to call me back in the afternoon and did it all over the phone.

They did not exactly refuse my policy, they accepted it and then changed their mind causing me hassle, stress , phone calls etc . If they had done the job correctly in the first place non of that would have happened

Comment

so did the paperwork that got sent to you mention anything about convictions for non motoring offences having to be declared, if not why did you tell them ?

Comment

Some insurance companies examine records for fraud and other offences that could indicate future problems. When buying insurance some brokers access Credit Reports, even when you are not paying in installments. I suppose they assume if you have debts, you may try and falsify claims. Why else would they mess up your file?

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
              so did the paperwork that got sent to you mention anything about convictions for non motoring offences having to be declared, if not why did you tell them ?
              Actually yes there was a section that the adviser had completed saying NO to the question

Comment

Just thought you would like to know, RSA have today called and offered me £50 compensation for their handling of the affair i.e not calling me back when promised or otherwise communicating with me. It goes a long way to make up for the higher premium that I have had to pay . If YB do not respond within about 3 weeks I may just take it to the FOS out of sheer spite but there again I may just let it be. I have enough to do

Comment

Working...
                X