GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Aqua Credit Card - Poor credit history but been accepted - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aqua Credit Card - Poor credit history but been accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aqua Credit Card - Poor credit history but been accepted

As you do, I received a weekly email from MSE a few weeks ago and I was reading one of the articles about a credit card acceptance "checker" that basically conducts a "soft" search of your credit score and gives a rough chance of acceptability for certain Credit cards

I have no real intention of getting cards again really, Certainly not like I did before but it has to be said they do have their uses if an unexpected bill crops up etc. I was not expecting to be accepted as I still have so many defaults that are only a few years old

So I put some limited information in and I was advised that I would have a 95% chance of acceptance with the Aqua range of cards

I applied and was accepted online. Card has just come through a week or so later. Ok APR is quite high and I only have a limit of £250 but it is credit and if the account is operated properly it can only have a positive effect on working to "heal" my credit score a little. Hopefully in time the credit limit will increase and the APR decrease

It was just to say really that there are a lot of people in my position and having access to a little bit of credit here and there does help to smoothen the small bumps in the road that sometimes appear unexpectedly......Just because you have got defaults, Don't be put off from applying as if they accepted me ( With my shot credit history) there is a fair chance they may accept you

If you are looking to repair your history and show that you are able to "handle" the wild sum of £250.......It can only help to improve your situation on starting to return your credit score/worthiness back to "normal" levels - Especially if you are looking to apply for mortgages etc down the line
    Last edited by Spud; 14 March 2016, 12:03.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Aqua Credit Card - Poor credit history but been accepted

I am not so sure if it would be a great idea - at least in my case.
    If I am battling with DCAs and receiving court threatening letters (LBAs) it wouldn't IMHO help me in case I end up in a courtroom.
    DJ might be the type: defendant has unsettled/defaulted accounts and yet then applied for another credit? - go and get him then.
    Sure, having defaults AND either paying them down or already satisfied them (i.e. no-one is chasing you) then why not, go and apply for small rebuilding credit product. But am now just over SB barrier plus all my defaults will be gone from my credit file in a couple of months, so I think I will wait.
    Personally I use credit cards only for cashback purposes AND for buyer protection under s.75 - but am secondary card user (my spouse with clean credit file is primary user).
    I will not apply for any credit as long as Hoist2 (ex-MKDP / Barclaycard) is after me as do not want to conduct any hard credit search thus proving to DCAs I am here kicking and alive and am looking for a new credit. Also keeping other dogs sleeping well.
    Just my 2p.

Comment

Originally posted by jadex View Post
      If I am battling with DCAs and receiving court threatening letters (LBAs) it wouldn't IMHO help me in case I end up in a courtroom.
      DJ might be the type: defendant has unsettled/defaulted accounts and yet then applied for another credit? - go and get him then.
      Sure, having defaults AND either paying them down or already satisfied them (i.e. no-one is chasing you) then why not, go and apply for small rebuilding credit product. But am now just over SB barrier plus all my defaults will be gone from my credit file in a couple of months, so I think I will wait.

Personally I use credit cards only for cashback purposes AND for buyer protection under s.75 - but am secondary card user (my spouse with clean credit file is primary user).
      I will not apply for any credit as long as Hoist2 (ex-MKDP / Barclaycard) is after me as do not want to conduct any hard credit search thus proving to DCAs I am here kicking and alive and am looking for a new credit. Also keeping other dogs sleeping well.
      Just my 2p.
      Surely if you are over the SB line the creditors can't hurt you anyway can they ?

Comment

Aqua does cash back , is recommended for use abroad (if you pay on time) and they do regularly increase your limit and although the APR does get lower it's still high. I applied whilst battling court cases and it didn't affect the outcome - the greater problem was being a home owner which gave the green light to take me to court.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by lookingforward View Post
          Surely if you are over the SB line the creditors can't hurt you anyway can they ?
          this is England...

Comment

this is England...
            Please explain I always thought once debts were SB the creditors could possibly huff and puff but that's all

Comment

They can try and get the money but SB is its own defence, though they have been known to fight the SB date.

Comment

Just my 2p.
                I can see your point and there is some truth in the matter but in reality there is very little difference to having and paying a mortgage, Car insurance monthly payment, pay monthly mobile phone etc.

Any account I would be fighting would be argued using legislation on the facts that it is unenforceable due to defective documents etc not on any moral arguments a creditor may try to put forward which we can debate in church. I cannot see a DJ being in the faintest bit interested in a small balance credit card

Comment

1. Never use MSE checker - you WILL get spammed and it's literally linked to their parent. It's not them.
                  2. It's not accurate. It could say 80% chance but you get declined
                  3. We don't promote MSE here. They equal bad advice; bullying; snobbery & pompousness
                  4. MSE is part of a group who makes money from these wasted applications there

Moral here? Use Noddle if you must use these silly checkers that never are right or go direct and use the pre-app checker direct!!

You can pre-apply with lloyds, nationwide, Aqua, MBNA, cap1, Barclays and a few others such as luma (cap1).

Well done on the card but I bet your apr is pushing 50%. Sod that
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Don't worry, I would not follow advice from MSE. I use it more with regard to "Moneysaving" tips kind of thing such as energy price switching etc.

I was not really looking for a card as such but considered that soon it might be an idea to test the water having not done so over the past 4/5 years. And the email I used is set up for such things so they can spam away all they want!!!! Having said that with just one income coming we just about get by and having the security/fallback of a few £100 there if you need it ( To spend - Not as cash) is a massive help and certainly will now take some of the pressure off when an unexpected expense crops up a week before payday so for that I am greatful.

APR is 40 something % so massively high but to be fair I don't intend on paying much interest really. I will usually pay off in full but will allow a small balance to remain, Pay off the minimum payment and then make another small over payment each month which would have the most likely chance of showing a level of credit worthiness come the future. At the minute with limited opportunities it is the best position I can realistically hope for

I don't intend on keeping the card for too long, Its really just a vehicle to use and abuse ( Not too much abuse mind) to start to get things back to a better position where in a few years time, Defaults drop away and I can show a level of credit worthiness ( For want of a better word)

Comment

Spam = alerting creditors you're alive and well. Spam = writing to you. Spam = selling details to private companies.

Never max out an Aqua card. They add interest before payment due date so easy to get over limit charges. In fact they're notorious for it
                      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Spam = alerting creditors you're alive and well. Spam = writing to you. Spam = selling details to private companies.

Never max max out an Aqua card. They add interest before payment due date so easy to get over limit charges. In fact they're notorious for it
                        I had heard that about Aqua, Quite worrying although I will probably only spend up to £100 month ( Fuel spend etc) and pay off in full pretty much bar a small balance as I said to assist with the credit building.

Totally take the point with regard to creditors and I did consider this prior to application but to be fair they all know where I am, are in fairly regular contact and know the position with regard to accounts etc ( IE - Stuffed). I have to pay monthly for phones/Internet/Car insurances etc and tend to change these on a fairly regular basis. The flexability and "buffer" this will allow me will outstrip the negatives

Comment

Then enjoy matey. Well done. Give it 3 months and you'll likely get Vanquis / Cap1 too.

I did around September. Funny thing, round one of their cards are still on my CRA but they ain't linked me as same person yet so I get a debt chaser with each statement (ie 2 accounts - one defaulted and the new one)

Comment

Originally posted by Spud View Post
                            So I put some limited information in and I was advised that I would have a 95% chance of acceptance with the Aqua range of cards

I applied and was accepted online.
                            Decided after all to take a plunge and applied this morning for Aqua Reward (no-fees on overseas spending would be handy).
                            Noddle checker gave me 80% chance but got rejected...
                            8 years at the same address, decent income (not great, but OKish), 6 defaults (2 satisfied) and all SB and all will disappear from my credit file by September, 17 years self-employment (guess that's the bit which killed me most) and they denied me pesky £250 credit...
                            So how am I going to improve my credit rate when I cannot get £250 card?
                            Planned to try and get a mortgage next year to finally be on my own...

Comment

I would wait until they have gone from your credit file, that will be 4 months; not sure if Niddy recommends waiting 6 months before you reapply.

Comment

Working...
                              X