GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unenforceable Overdrafts - CCA Information - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unenforceable Overdrafts - CCA Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unenforceable Overdrafts - CCA Information

[SIZE=28px]new process - effective 2019[/SIZE]

Please note the information below is slightly outdated - please instead read the following info [URL="https://all-about-debt.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-starting-again/legal-debt-matters/1523192-mfs-portfolio-ltd-v-phelan-west-appeal-overdrafts"][B]Here[/B][/URL] then send us a question on this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=28px]overdrafts - cca information & templates[/SIZE]

This new thread is a compilation of posts from around the forum recently that involves our continued discussions regards to overdrafts and their legality within the provision of the Consumer Credit Act.

This holding post (1) will eventually contain links and information regards the basic provisions and will also contain a CCA Request styled template and a couple of response letters that will need to be sent when the bank try and welch on their duties to respond as appropriate.

[B]Part 1 - The CCA Request[/B]

Ok, so the main thing - a type of CCA Request is necessary in order to get things going yet because this does not conform with usual s.77, s.78 & s.79 requests we [COLOR=Red]do not need to send the £1 payment[/COLOR] as we're kinda playing dumb at this point (as far as getting the original request over); the actual CCA Request for the Overdraft reads something like this:[INDENT]

Dear Sirs,

[B]Ref: XXXXXXXX[/B]

Under the provisions of The Consumer Credit (EU Directive) Regulations 2010 and also c.39 (s.74 (A&B) (VA)) CCA(1974) I wish to formally request a copy of the original overdraft agreement and relevant paperwork that you should be sending me annually, for the above numbered bank account with [[B]enter bank name here[/B]].

As I held what can only be regarded as an 'Agreed Overdraft', which has now reverted to an 'Unauthorised Overdraft' then the lending becomes regulated in line with c.39 Part VA (s.74) (s.1(b)) CCA1974 meaning the normal rules and CCA(1974) protection applies to this account.

You should be sending an annual reminder to me regards the overdraft, as well as copies of the original agreement made and an annual renewal form that contains the relevant prescribed terms that are clearly outlined in s.74(A)2(a,b,c,d,e). I highlight this provision for your perusal;[INDENT]
    [B]s.74A(2)[/B]?The current account agreement must include the following information at the time it is made:[INDENT]
    [B](a)[/B]the rate of interest charged on the amount by which an account-holder overdraws on the current account or exceeds the pre-arranged overdraft limit,
    [B](b)[/B]any conditions applicable to that rate,
    [B](c)[/B]any reference rate on which that rate is based,
    [B](d)[/B]information on any changes to the rate of interest (including the periods that the rate applies and any conditions or procedure applicable to changing that rate), and
    [B](e)[/B]any other charges payable by the debtor under the agreement (and the conditions under which those charges may be varied).[/INDENT]
    [/INDENT]

You should also be paying attention to s.74(B)(2) which reads, I quote;[INDENT]
    [B]s.74B(2)[/B]?The matters referred to in subsection (1) are:[INDENT]
    [B](a)[/B]the fact that the current account is overdrawn or the overdraft limit has been exceeded,
    [B](b)[/B]the amount of that overdraft or excess,
    [B](c)[/B]the rate of interest charged on it, and
    [B](d)[/B]any other charges payable by the debtor in relation to it (including any penalties and any interest on those charges).[/INDENT]
    [/INDENT]

Therefore in line with the above, please could you send me what you should have been doing annually and have not been, to allow me to take whatever action I deem appropriate.

I trust that I have set out the position clearly and I await your response with the requested information.

Yours faithfully,

[SIZE=28px][B]Sign Digitally[/B][/SIZE][/INDENT]

[B]Part 2 - The Response[/B]

You will get a reply usually saying 'Go Away - The exclusion of Current Accounts fall within Part V of the CCA and is set out in section 74(1)(b)' but that actually proves our point and as you have seen with the CCA Request, we rely on that to demand the documents referred herein.

So, in response to such a denial we would respond as follows with the CCA Request Follow Up which reads something like this;[INDENT]

Dear Sirs,

[B]Ref: XXXXXXXX[/B]

I refer to previous correspondence and in particular my request for information under the provisions of The Consumer Credit (EU Directive) Regulations 2010; and also c.39 (s.74 (A&B) (VA)) CCA(1974).

I formally requested a copy of the required documents that should have been sent to me annually by [[B]enter bank name here[/B]] and am to date still awaiting such documents.

Until such time as I am in receipt of the requested information, this account cannot be enforced and remains in an unenforceable position because the basic underlying principles of legislation are being ignored. I attach a copy of my original request again, and hope that this time you'll take me more seriously and actually send out historical data as required within the legislative statute that is the Consumer Credit Act (1974).

I look forward to your response within the next 28 days with the requested information.

Yours faithfully,

[SIZE=28px][B]Sign Digitally[/B][/SIZE][/INDENT]

[B]Note 1 - Additional Points of Reference[/B]

We are relying on specific guidelines here and this is untested and we cannot guarantee any level of success (or failure) by taking the above CCA Request approach and therefore you should consider this attack as a last line of defence - remember never take the fight to a lender, always defend their attack with legislative re-buffs such as the overdraft CCA Request.

The specific guidelines used are as follows:

c.39 (s.74) CCA 1974 (as amended) Part VA ---> [B][URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/part/VA"]Part VA - Consumer Credit Act 1974[/URL][/B]

[QUOTE]
    [B]s.74A(2)[/B]?

The current account agreement must include the following information at the time it is made:[INDENT]
    [B](a)[/B]the rate of interest charged on the amount by which an account-holder overdraws on the current account or exceeds the pre-arranged overdraft limit,
    [B](d)[/B]information on any changes to the rate of interest (including the periods that the rate applies and any conditions or procedure applicable to changing that rate), and
    [B](e)[/B]any other charges payable by the debtor under the agreement (and the conditions under which those charges may be varied).[/INDENT]

[B]s.74B(2)[/B]?

The matters referred to in subsection (1) are:[INDENT]
    [B](a)[/B]the fact that the current account is overdrawn or the overdraft limit has been exceeded,
    [B](d)[/B]any other charges payable by the debtor in relation to it (including any penalties and any interest on those charges).[/INDENT]

[/QUOTE]
    We then rely on The Consumer Credit (Amendment) Regulations 2010 which is what the above replaced, in particular s.9:[INDENT]
    ---> [B][URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1969/regulation/9/made"]s.9 - The Consumer Credit (Amendment) Regulations 2010[/URL][/B][/INDENT]

Make sense? If not post a reply and we'll try and help. Best of luck.

Niddy
    Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 2 January 2020, 15:32.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Annual Statements of Account?

[QUOTE=CleverClogs;135171]Historically, overdrafts were excluded by section 74 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as enacted ([URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/74/enacted"][B]link[/B][/URL]) but now that the law has been amended ([URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/74"][B]link[/B][/URL]) overdrafts are more regulated ([URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/part/VA"][B]link[/B][/URL]).

Does that help?[/QUOTE] Thanks Cloggy - just seen this.

Ok, a layman version for those that want it....

With an overdraft, historically there was little protection in line with (c.39) s.74 (CCA1974). However this was amended within the [B][URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1010/contents/made"]The Consumer Credit (EU Directive) Regulations 2010[/URL][/B] and also with the addition of c.39 (s.74 (A&B) (VA)) CCA(1974 ---> ([URL="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/part/VA"]Consumer Credit Act 1974[/URL]) <-- to allow overdrafts within legislation.

Now, the easiest way of looking at this is if you do not have an overdraft or you exceed an existing overdraft, then the lending becomes regulated in line with Part VA (s.74) (s.1(b)) meaning the normal rules apply.

The lender also needs to send an annual reminder to you regards the overdraft, this is why most overdrafts only run a year - so at the end of each year you *should* be supplied with a renewal form detailing the O/D PT's which should be in the form of:

[QUOTE][B]s.74A(2)[/B] The current account agreement must include the following information at the time it is made:[INDENT][B](a)[/B]the rate of interest charged on the amount by which an account-holder overdraws on the current account or exceeds the pre-arranged overdraft limit,
    [B](e)[/B]any other charges payable by the debtor under the agreement (and the conditions under which those charges may be varied).[/INDENT][/QUOTE]If you have a pre-agreed overdraft and exceed it, or do not have an agreed overdraft but create one then the lender must send the following information to you:

[QUOTE][B]s.74B(2)[/B] The matters referred to in subsection (1) are:[INDENT][B](a)[/B]the fact that the current account is overdrawn or the overdraft limit has been exceeded,
    [B](d)[/B]any other charges payable by the debtor in relation to it (including any penalties and any interest on those charges).[/INDENT][/QUOTE]Make sense........ ???
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Re: benadabec UE Diary

[QUOTE=garlok;135737]Hi B,

Have a look at this thread:-

>[URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2813"]Annual Statements of Account? - allaboutFORUMS[/URL]

Read on from my post #15 and you will see where the guys put me right on overdrafts and the links to read up on.

regards
      Garlok[/QUOTE] And see this ---> [B][URL="http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/showpost.php?p=138042&postcount=25"]allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - Annual Statements of Account?[/URL][/B]

Comment

Does this have any bearing on ods that have been closed/withdrawn but are still in existence?
        Thanks
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

[QUOTE=cymruambyth;138152]Does this have any bearing on ods that have been closed/withdrawn but are still in existence?
          Thanks[/QUOTE] In what respect? If there is no OD then of course not, if there is an OD then yes you need to get an annual statement detailing the rate of interest charged etc....

If the OD has been withdrawn then you're entering an unauthorised OD status in which case the bottom part of my post above applies, (s.74(B)) :beer

Comment

[QUOTE=cymruambyth;138152]Does this have any bearing on ods that have been closed/withdrawn but are still in existence?
            Thanks[/QUOTE]
            Hi Niddy,
            As you are aware I am probably the thckest person on here so my dumb ? is had an O/D thought the acc closed and O/D added to loan ccj, got a SAR and O/D showing as onging ie interest adding every month it is rising very high £3000 + but have had no contact since Aug 2010 when stopped the DMP the amount is still below agreed O/D limit but again absolutely no contact from bank just noticed when SAR received. So as long as they dont contact me or I pay anything will it be SB in 2016 or does the interest added monthly keep this live.
            Thanks as always.

Comment

[QUOTE=helmsman;138198]Hi Niddy,
              As you are aware I am probably the thckest person on here so my dumb ? is had an O/D thought the acc closed and O/D added to loan ccj, got a SAR and O/D showing as onging ie interest adding every month it is rising very high £3000 + but have had no contact since Aug 2010 when stopped the DMP the amount is still below agreed O/D limit but again absolutely no contact from bank just noticed when SAR received. So as long as they dont contact me or I pay anything will it be SB in 2016 or does the interest added monthly keep this live.
              Thanks as always.[/QUOTE] Hiya

Sorry, lets start at the beginning - you cannot add two debts into one so if they got a CCJ by adding a regulated and non regulated (in that sense) product together then I would be arguing for set-aside of the whole CCJ.

Thats an entirely different issue. Also if you have a CCJ it'll never become SB in the traditional sense.....

Can you try and reword the question giving more detail cos right now it makes no sense......

However interest being added does not affect the SB date, no. [B]ONLY[/B] you paying into it or acknowledging it does.

Comment

[QUOTE=Never-In-Doubt;138199]Hiya

Sorry, lets start at the beginning - you cannot add two debts into one so if they got a CCJ by adding a regulated and non regulated (in that sense) product together then I would be arguing for set-aside of the whole CCJ.

Thats an entirely different issue. Also if you have a CCJ it'll never become SB in the traditional sense.....

Can you try and reword the question giving more detail cos right now it makes no sense......

However interest being added does not affect the SB date, no. [B]ONLY[/B] you paying into it or acknowledging it does.[/QUOTE]
                Hi Niddy.
                Originally thought the ccj contained the O/D with the loan as it was High ie loan andO/D added together since I did a SAR found this not to be the case the ccj is loan only (paying all up to date) I know the ccj will not be SB paying anyway. But the O/D surfaced with the SAR showing interest being added monthly and increasing heading towards what was an agreed O/D. Have not used the acc for 4 years at least when entered dmp what I was asking as I have not made any payments to that ac with O/D have had no contact about the acc will it become SB in 2016 or will the interest they are adding but not informing me about keep the acc live. Hope that makes sense.

Comment

[QUOTE=helmsman;138209]Hi Niddy.
                  Originally thought the ccj contained the O/D with the loan as it was High ie loan andO/D added together since I did a SAR found this not to be the case the ccj is loan only (paying all up to date) I know the ccj will not be SB paying anyway. But the O/D surfaced with the SAR showing interest being added monthly and increasing heading towards what was an agreed O/D. Have not used the acc for 4 years at least when entered dmp what I was asking as I have not made any payments to that ac with O/D have had no contact about the acc will it become SB in 2016 or will the interest they are adding but not informing me about keep the acc live. Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE] Ok as the loan and OD was not added together, never say that again as it confuses everything :lol :lol

Basically your accounts, as per my last post, will be SB 6 years from date YOU last paid or acknowledged the debt. The bank can add £20k to it, but if you didn't spend, pay or acknowledge then tough - so as for the SB date, this will be 6yrs from the date you last paid into the DMP - is that is 2016? You tell me (ie when did you last pay into this account)?

Comment

[QUOTE=Never-In-Doubt;138211]Ok as the loan and OD was not added together, never say that again as it confuses everything :lol :lol

Basically your accounts, as per my last post, will be SB 6 years from date YOU last paid or acknowledged the debt. The bank can add £20k to it, but if you didn't spend, pay or acknowledge then tough - so as for the SB date, this will be 6yrs from the date you last paid into the DMP - is that is 2016? You tell me (ie when did you last pay into this account)?[/QUOTE]
                    Hi Niddy,
                    Thanks for clarifying last paid into dmp aug 2010 have not had any contact with the bank. Stopped using the O/D acc 1n 2007 when started dmp.
                    Thanks as always (for your patience)
                    Merry Xmas to everyone.

Comment

I'm still curious to know whether failing to send this information annually has any negative impact on the banks' ability to enforce in court. Can they send them retrospectively to remedy that? I've had none since my HSBC account was opened in 1970s with an agreed OD limit which I never exceeded until last year.

Comment

Also in order to enforce in court does the Bank have to produce the original OD agreement as proof of breach of any Ts & Cs, or does the OD's existence say it all :confused

Comment

[QUOTE=PlanB;138215]I'm still curious to know whether failing to send this information annually has any negative impact on the banks' ability to enforce in court. Can they send them retrospectively to remedy that? I've had none since my HSBC account was opened in 1970s with an agreed OD limit which I never exceeded until last year.[/QUOTE] It would not affect anything enforceability wise, it is a minor breach, kind of like the lender not sending an annual statement in line with current legislation.

You could complain to the Ombudsman - that's about your lot. :cool

Comment

[QUOTE=PlanB;138217]Also in order to enforce in court does the Bank have to produce the original OD agreement as proof of breach of any Ts & Cs, or does the OD's existence say it all :confused[/QUOTE] To enforce in court they'd still have to provide the standard documents as per agreement i.e. prove that you agreed to the terms and conditions therein.

If they cannot, ie no paperwork, then you'd have a fighting chance BUT bear in mind you have [B]no [/B]CCA protection like s.127 etc etc.....

Comment

Whilst we can have the discussion here, I suppose we will have to wait and see if any case law gets established on the specifics of the OD regulations. As it stands I can't find any which could give a clear indication.

regards
                              Garlok

Comment

Working...
                              X