GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Upgrade to (Mavericks) I meant Yosemite.. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade to (Mavericks) I meant Yosemite..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade to (Mavericks) I meant Yosemite..

Right daft question coming up, I am so hopeless at working out how much memory left on my MacBook Pro

Have I got enough memory to upgrade to Mavericks?
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Re: Upgrade to Mavericks

Loads .......left
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
      Loads .......left
      Ahhh, thanks Deepie, it does the size of the upgrade is 5.64 GB and I don't have that much left....

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
        Ahhh, thanks Deepie, it does the size of the upgrade is 5.64 GB and I don't have that much left....
        you best ask Riz ..........
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/upgrade-...ews-18388.html

does that help ?

Comment

you best ask Riz ..........

RIZ

Yes I have seen this and I do have all for the update, re I have OS X 10.9.5 and a Late 2011 MacBook.

This is what confuses me, here it says I have loads of GB....told you I'm hopeless at this!!

Comment

The 5.64 GB should be referring to the space required on the hard drive - you appear to have 462.52 GB free, so more than enough. The numbers in your first post refer to RAM, which is the memory the computer loads the operating system into, together with applications when you use them. The link on how to upgrade says you need a minimum of 2 GB of RAM & you appear to have 4GB, so should be sufficient for the upgrade.

Hope that helps!

C

Comment

Originally posted by cadwallader View Post
                The 5.64 GB should be referring to the space required on the hard drive - you appear to have 462.52 GB free, so more than enough. The numbers in your first post refer to RAM, which is the memory the computer loads the operating system into, together with applications when you use them. The link on how to upgrade says you need a minimum of 2 GB of RAM & you appear to have 4GB, so should be sufficient for the upgrade.

Hope that helps!

C

Thank you, thank you C, you're a star

Comment

You have loads of hard disk space.

The data in your 1st post was RAM stats, and for that you just need to make sure that your total RAM is enough.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201364

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:
                  • iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
                  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
                  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
                  • MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
                  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
                  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
                  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
                  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

• OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
                  • 2 GB or more of memory
                  • 8 GB or more of available space
                  You have 4GB of RAM, so plenty.

Plus over 50 times more that then required 8GB of HD space.

So as long as your system is one of those above sounds as if it should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                    You have loads of hard disk space.

The data in your 1st post was RAM stats, and for that you just need to make sure that your total RAM is enough.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201364

You have 4GB of RAM, so plenty.

Plus over 50 times more that then required 8GB of HD space.

So as long as your system is one of those above sounds as if it should be fine.

Thank you Riz

..........I must apologise to all........I am a twonk, I already have Mavericks, it's Yosemite I need to upgrade to.....

Can I still go ahead and upgrade?

Comment

Re: Upgrade to (Mavericks) I meant Yosemite..

It should be OK - according to this link, which tells you how to do it, if your Mac can run Mavericks, it can run Yosemite.

https://www.apple.com/support/osx/upgrade/

Good luck!

C

Comment

Originally posted by cadwallader View Post
                        It should be OK - according to this link, which tells you how to do it, if your Mac can run Mavericks, it can run Yosemite.

https://www.apple.com/support/osx/upgrade/

Good luck!

C

Thank you again C

Comment

Another thank you to Deepie, C and Riz

Downloaded Yosemite it took 1hr 50 mins and 50 mins to install

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                            Another thank you to Deepie, C and Riz

Downloaded Yosemite it took 1hr 50 mins annd 50 mins to install
                            lol ....what did i do ?

Glad you got it sorted .....

Comment

lol ....what did i do ?

Glad you got it sorted .....

You were there and answered my post first

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X