GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script I cancelled my tv licence - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cancelled my tv licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cancelled my tv licence

We haven't watched television for over a year now so we just decided what a waste of 11 quid a month .
    I wrote an email to the tv licencing to tell them that we no longer need a licence , i haven't heard from them yet, but i noticed at the bottom of their last letter that it says if you don't need a licence we have the right to enter your home and check this , my husband told me to write at the bottom of the email that they are not entering our home .

Can they do that ?

Re: I cancelled my tv licence

Hi S2M. Good question! The answer is no they cannot-without your permission.

According to a Freedom of Information Request made to the BBC:

2. Does a TV Licensing "Enforcement officer" have any right of access to a home without a warrant or
    invitation?

The Communications Act 2003 imposes an obligation on the BBC to issue TV Licences and collect the
    licence fee. The BBC must ensure that it fulfils its responsibility to the vast majority of households who pay
    their licence fee, by enforcing the law in respect of those who intentionally evade paying it. TV Licensing
    uses a range of activities to raise awareness about the requirement for a TV Licence, remind people to pay,
    inform them of ways to pay, and to deter people from evading the licence fee.

Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a
    magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in
    common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making
    their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting,
    be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by a strict code of conduct.

You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by
    the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access or an
    occupant withdraws the right to visit, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of
    detection.

Enquiry officers may apply for authorisation to use detection equipment if they are refused entry on to
    premises. TV Licensing may also apply to a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland) for a search warrant.
    However, this is only done as a last resort and when a senior manager and a legal adviser considers that
    there is good reason to believe that an offence has been committed.
    Link: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ponse.pdf.html

Elsa x

Comment

thank you elsa xx

Comment

How can one not watch TV for a year

I watch TV when I go camping - no, seriously
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          How can one not watch TV for a year

I watch TV when I go camping - no, seriously

we just stopped watching and find the internet has taken over TV

Comment

I watch very little TV and wouldn't dream of watching it if I was away camping (though I haven't been camping for a few years)
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

When we go camping it's my excuse to think I'm Bear Grylls and at night I like sitting there with a cuppa looking at the stars with TV on laptop (it's only SkyGO)
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                When we go camping it's my excuse to think I'm Bear Grylls and at night I like sitting there with a cuppa looking at the stars with TV on laptop (it's only SkyGO)
                Naked after crossing a torrent wrestling a bear and eating bugs !!!!!
                if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
                  Naked after crossing a torrent wrestling a bear and eating bugs !!!!!

More like this Nanna ........

Comment

Silly me x

Comment

I would love a tent like that , luxury or what .

might go camping now need a break

Comment

received a letter from the TV licencing to apply for a refund

also received another telling me I'm in serious arrears of £17.00 : :

Comment

Seriously ?

Comment

pathetic isn't it , and they would send me letters like this every month if i paid a few days late . Serious arrears of £6.00 .

I once received a phone call from them saying i needed to pay £21 that day over the phone by debit card . I said i only had enough in the bank to cover bills but was told if i didn't pay that day i would be taken to court . At that time i didn't know any better and was bullied into paying . If this had happened last week i would have just said No i don't have the money .

Comment

Working...
                            X