GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Dog attack in Park - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dog attack in Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog attack in Park

It's taken me a few days to think about this and post about it, it's rather long and convoluted so please bear with me, its one of THE most upsetting things I have ever witnessed.

Every morning before work I am part of a dog walking group round our local park, there's a group of us, various ages, various breeds/size of dogs. Each day we walk five times around the park, have a laugh, put the world to rights and our dogs run and play happily together.

There are a few houses that back onto the park, all have very high fences, but over one of the fences a blue staffie kept looking and barking, one of the walkers has knocked on the door and told them that one day their dog will get over the fence and we have all been worried about this happening.

Last Tuesday, we were all happily walking round, all of a sudden a BLACK staffie shot over the fence and attacked Sandy, a small terrier, his owner (73 years old man with a hip replacement) fell to the ground and fought the dog, eventually it was prized off with the help of two more men, Sandy was badly hurt, he now has 150 stitches in his neck, 2 drains and is not allowed out for what will be quite a while.

The BLUE dog then turned on Lenny a very small nine year old Jack Russell and shock it silly, his owner 56 year old man with severe heart problems, has an IED thingy to kick start his heart again) fell onto the dog and fought with it, he rescued Lenny and got bitten by the black dog on his arm badly.

Someone got a lead and wrapped it around the black dogs neck and pulled it away.

We also have a man (73 years old) who'd had a pacemaker fitted the day before in the group, someone got him and his dog away safely. Another man in his 70's helped to fight one of the dogs off, his dog was safe. There was other people there who helped etc.

In the meantime the BLUE staffie ran at my dog, nipped him but did no more, my dog has a small puncture wound, I had the presence of mind to hit the dog with the metal end of the lead and it buggered off, in the meantime I was on the phone to the police and ambulance.

After a few minutes the dogs owners (two chavvy girls, well we are in Essex) turned up, one was mouthy and the other was sobbing, it transpired that the Black dog had attacked twice before and she said that they had tried to get it put down twice and the vets had refused, was was also saying that the Blue one was gentle and wouldn't do anything, The trappy girl gave a load of mouth but after a few choice words from Moi she soon calmed down when faced with having a bloody good battering lol (well I was bloody furious).

The police and ambulance arrived, 8 coppers and two ambulances, Sandy was rushed to the vets, his owner went to the GP for a tetanus as he had a cut, Lenny was taken to the vet and his owner was taken to hospital, he was checked out, and had a few stitches in arm.

The coppers took statements and details, the girls were talked to and were told that the Black dog was to be destroyed, which they promptly did, the Blue one is still alive apparently but we are assured its either kept indoors or has been taken away to another place. We have been told that they also have a Old English Sheepdog in the house that the two staffies had been attacking and its covered in scars etc, they also had two very small children in the house and were adamant the dogs were perfectly safe with them. I'm not sure but I think the coppers threatened to charge the girls with keeping dangerous dogs.

Tuesday and Wednesday I was in a hell of a state, everytime I closed my eyes I could see the whole thing again, I had no sleep and when I did drop off I woke suddenly crying and shouting for my dog apparently, my hubby said on Thursday to get my arse to the doctors, which I did, it seems I have suffered trauma and have been put on strong Diazepam each night to relax me, I feel a lot better for having had a good nights sleep but am still so upset about it all, and now when we walk around the park we are all on edge watching for that garden even though were assured the blue dog has gone, its so bad that this morning when our dogs (the ones left) started playing today I freaked and had to leave as I was so scared, I'm even crying now as I'm typing this. Thank god we're going on holiday on Tuesday, Bailey (our dog) goes to a very good Doggysitter and she takes him to a different park and is very careful with him.

The dogs owners have offered to pay all vet bills.

So, that's it in a nutshell, what I want to know for the others not really myself, but can Sandy and Lennie's owners sue the owners for say stress, time for going to vets, travel, out of pocket expenses etc ?

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Re: Dog attack in Park

As a dog owner myself I can understand you being so affected by what happened, it must have been terrible.

I know that staffies can be lovely dogs but I'd be worried that, now the blue staffie has had a taste for attacking, that it might attack the children.

I'm not sure where the law stands on the other owners suing the chavvy girls. It might be an idea for them to go and see a solicitor and ask their advice...most solicitors offer an hour's free advice.

Enjoy your holiday and try to forget about the attack
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oh Sapphy, what a bloody awful experience. I am not surprised you are traumatised, I would be too. Is there another park you could go to? I know you shouldn't need to, but it might help you relax if there was.

I can't offer any advice on the legals; you would hope that there would be some recourse. Pet insurance and dog licencing should, in my opinion, be a legal requirement - with pet insurance covering for such eventualities. I'd certainly sign any petition to that effect.

Sorry I can be of help, but sending hugs to you. I hope you get over this soon xx
      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

If you wanted to sue (civil matter) for any losses then yes you could claim. The laws changed earlier this year didn't they?

--> https://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/chang...-advice-owners

But sadly you need to establish whether suing is worthy; if they're chavs with no cash then why spend a grand suing when you won't even get the cost of suing them back?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

OMG what a nightmare Sapphy! I too can totally understand how upset you and the others must be.
          I love dogs but would never own a Staffie, they're the victim of bad breeding as German Shepherds were in the seventies, and many backyard breeders use aggressive dogs to breed or even select pups for aggression. If I saw one when I'm out with Brody I'd give it a very wide berth, even though I know some of them can have lovely soft temperaments. When he was a pup I carried a riding crop with a wrist strap, just in case anything attacked him.
          We had a garden gate put in straight onto the field so I can take the dogs out without walking past our neighbours manic Jack Russells. I was just building my confidence up taking him out on my own again after my op, when a stupid couple who live at the other side of the field let their dog out loose, even though they could see I was in the field. (We have a village "etiquette" where you keep your dog on a lead if anyone else is in the field before you). Bloody thing raced towards us and kept circling us barking. Wouldn't go back when they called so they just stood there watching as I struggled to hold Brody on the lead. He was lunging at it trying to protect me. Hurt my bad arm and ruined my fragile confidence so I don't enjoy going in the field now, I'm constantly on edge in case it happens again.
          Not as bad as your incident by any means, but it did shake me up.

Did the Staffie owners look the type to have dog insurance? If so it could include third party indemnity for any damage they do.

Re the changes to the Dangerous Dog Act:
          You need to make sure that any visitor can safely access your front door without encountering your dog.
          Not at my house! NOBODY can access my door, dogs or no dogs. it's got a 6ft fence and locked gate. Any visitors have to ring the bell.
          There should be a clause exempting Debt Collectors from protection by the Act...

Comment

Thanks for the replies, over the weekend the chavs mother went to the house where Sandy lives, she tried to hand over her credit card and pin number and said for them to use it, thankfully they had the presence of mind to refuse and said that they will be presenting them with the Vet Bills, after all they could say that they were using the credit card unlawfully couldn't they.
            I don't think that the chav family are hard up, but we'e keeping a close eye on their garden to see if the other dog is still there or has indeed gone.
            Sandy and Lenny are both mending slowly, the vet has said that both will take a while to get back to normal physically, mentally its a different story. My little Bailey is ok, he's at the groomers at the moment and tomorrow he goes to the dogsitters whilst we are away, he loves it with her and she spoils him rotten, hopefully by the time we get back on the 17th things may be back to normal 'ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
              There should be a clause exempting Debt Collectors from protection by the Act...

WARNING.

Trespassers will be EATEN.

Comment

What a vile story Sappy and those poor elderly people probably have the sdohgs as family ,how are they? You take care sweetie xxxxx
                if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for asking Nanna, yep, all ok, we all still to our four times round the park (3 miles) every morning, put the world to rights and generally have a laugh, for a bunch of (mostly) pensioners (some younger ones) the language and the jokes are pretty naughty at times, but we have fun, the dogs are great too, we now have a couple of new ones joined the group, sometimes there can be around 10 or 12 owners and the same amount of dogs, its great fun, great banter and a fab way to start the day.

Comment

Working...
                  X