GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Asbestos concrete roof removal? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asbestos concrete roof removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asbestos concrete roof removal?

I need to have an asbestos concrete garage roof removed, so that I can have a new roof put on, but have been quoted over a thousand pounds for disposal, which means that I cannot afford the new roof!
    Please does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Asbestos concrete roof removal?

Can be done yourself -----> http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/em9.pdf

I removed my garage roof but was over 20 years ago now........... Still alive and kicking...
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

The problem is that it has to be taken to a site that charges by the weight, hence the cost :-(
      Sadly the recycling sites no longer accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dibsfbd View Post
        The problem is that it has to be taken to a site that charges by the weight, hence the cost :-(
        Sadly the recycling sites no longer accept it.
        Have you looked here ---> https://www.gov.uk/asbestos-in-home
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes and have spoken to the council to see if there is a grant available, but no joy.
          I can't help but feel that it's a con, as the roofing sheets need to be double bagged before we take them and the licensed disposal site just take them for landfill, it's so frustrating.
          Thank you for your help Deepie.

Comment

Don't be tempted to dump it in your local wood or lay-by like many 'cheap' clearance outfits do. Prosecution rates are high in many areas.

Comment

I can assure you that dumping is something that I wouldn't consider, not through fear of being caught, but on the morality of dumping.
              It is a recommended building firm that will be doing the clearance and it is them that have looked into the disposal and come back to me with the regulations and cost.
              Sadly, it means that I am now unable to afford to go ahead with the replacing the roof at this time, so everything is currently on hold.
              Thank you for your reply.

Comment

If damaged, it would be possible to repair slight damage. Does any home insurance cover it eg storm damage or vandalism to outbuildings and garages?

Unfortunately, although there is normally little danger in an AC roof, fiddling with it and damaging it during removal can cause the release of fibres which can cause lung disease.

Insurers and employers are now dealing with 10000s of elderly workers who came into daily or prolonged contact without masks and protective disposable clothing who cannot breathe. Also anybody living with them and washing their clothes, so there is a super 'tax' on it.

I'm sorry it has hit you.

Comment

Julian, I do appreciate your time in replying and thank you for giving such constructive advice.
                  It needs to be replaced with a flat roof, so that part of the garage can be converted to a room, but it will have to wait a little longer :-(

Comment

Or why not remove the old roof yourself and bag it yourself and store it in the garage/garden/side of garage etc until you're at a more affordable remit to dispose properly..... That's the common sense approach surely?
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

A friend of mine did his roof similar to yours only last year, they provided him with the bags to bag it all and the protective overalls and a mask and they told him where to dispose of it afterwards to, this was a private dwelling so councils do help unless now that they have had their throats cut by these shysters in power it has all stopped.

Comment

I couldn't move the panels on my own, but Niddy your suggestion is quite a possibility, as the builder is happy to bag it all and put them in a safe place for me, between the garage and the fence for now.
                        The council are unable to help with a grant for disposal by the licensed agent, it's that cost that I'm finding prohibitive, as the panels are going to exceed the £1000 initial weight cost :-(

Comment

totaly wrong I know, but I was cleaning at a house in the affluent cheshire countryside and noticed the bloke next door taking down an outbuilding,and bagging the peices. the following week I noticed he was digging a VERY LARGE hole in the garden, on seeing me hang out the washing he said'It;s ok i'm not burying the wife, we're putting the house up for sale and have been told we need to get rid of the asbestos shed, but they wanted too much to get a company in so i'm giving it a cheshire funeral and we'll have a patio built over it.

Comment

Thing is doing that (nightwatch) seems logical as the patio will be there years and asbestos is landfilled anyway!!!

Dibs I'd get the builder to bag it and store it by the side of the garage for now, worry about disposal as and when......
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I really don't blame him !

Comment

Working...
                              X