GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script can you contest a fine for not having a ticket on a train journey - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you contest a fine for not having a ticket on a train journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you contest a fine for not having a ticket on a train journey

Hi all'

this is for a friend quick(ish) story.

Friends son, J, attends college in Crewe, normally travels by moped, last week bike went off the road, he managed to get a lift to a local train station with 2 mins to spare before train arrived, large Que at ticket office,Train pulls in, so he decided to jump on the train and pay on there,He has seen people do this before, bloke comes up and askes for his ticket, J explains that he was running late gatting to the station and there was a large que infront of him so he needs to buy a return ticket to Crew, Bloke hands him a paper and pen and tells him to give his name and address.
    J asks why as he is only asking for a return ticket, bloke insists he gives his details which he did.
    at the next station J is told to get off the train and the bloke transfers his details onto a form and hands J a fine of £20 for traveling without a ticket.

His parents feel that the insistence of him giving his details was to prolong the time to the next station so they could issue the fine, and not sell him a ticket on the train,

Question can they appeal against the fine and how would they do this.

any takers, thanks
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: can you contest a fine for not having a ticket on a train journey

You need a ticket prior to embarking now. Unless you live in the sticks (no offices); office closed etc

see --> http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static...tent/NRCOC.pdf

Has he paid the "fine"?
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

down here ....pay when you get on ....
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Deepie View Post
        down here ....pay when you get on ....
        Local policy - you mustn't think if your local service allow it, all do - they don't.

We live in a village with no ticket office so we are fine, but we must pay through a window before we leave the station at Leeds / York etc as they know we can all get on without tickets due to our proximity - 99.9% I could get the train to at least 4 stops before seeing a conductor - so you *can* get free trains if you play the game, but for a fiver on the odd occasion I need a train, I just get on where the conductor is and try and pay - waiting at Leeds to pay can add an hour on your journey!

I hate trains
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

He's not paid it yet, I was wondering if he could get away with the fact that if he had a lift to his local station ACTON BRIDGE,one stop earlier on the line, it has no ticket office or machine so he would be able to pay on the train, he could of thought the same was applicable at the next station,

worth a try?

Comment

the station he got on at is a main line to Liverpool and London so the ticket office can be a nightmare, especialy if someone is renewing their season Ticket/ railcard

Comment

If he tries changing his story you don't know what evidence they will have written in their notes.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                Hi all'

Bloke hands him a paper and pen and tells him to give his name and address.
                lessons learnt.......next time give false name and address ....

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                  If he tries changing his story you don't know what evidence they will have written in their notes.
                  Cym, I agree, but he wouldn't be changing his story, he would just be saying that last time he used the train he got on the stop before and paid on the train, so thought that because when he got to the station and the train had pulled in he thought he would miss it ,so jumped on thinking he could pay on the train like last time

Comment

It's worth a try. I was on a train when the inspector bullied a girl who was desperately trying to pay. I gave her my details and told her that I would be a witness to the bullying and never heard anything more.

He could appeal and send a cheque for the fare that he was not allowed to pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                      Question can they appeal against the fine and how would they do this.
                      Answer: Yes

Here's how to appeal to the Independent Appeals Service: https://www.ircas.co.uk/appeals/
                      Last edited by PlanB; 16 January 2015, 22:28. Reason: wrong link :(

Comment

There is a big problem with people trying to avoid fares. On the trains in and around London the British Rail (or whatever) Revenue Protection Units enter carriages and check tickets to catch out those without tickets. They also barricade those stations where there are no barriers. At times it is easier to pay the £20 fine (or so) than argue the toss, as the TFL guys tend to prosecute and you could end up in the Magistrates Court. I have seen people run off down the track rather than be 'caught'.

It is also unfair that you can pass through a station but cannot get off at it when you have a through ticket, especially when the trains have been delayed and it would be quicker to change and continue the journey to the destination by Tube or bus, and not go into Central London and then have to come out again. However, they do point out that the regulations written in pt3 at 6ft height stipulate this.

The worst problem I have witnessed is when somebody was travelling up to Manchester on an Advance Ticket and the guard asked for £180 as it wasn't valid on that particular train. Glad it wasn't me.

Comment

Working...
                        X