GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Solar Panels - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panels

Had a guy from Southern Energy Solutions knock my door today offering free Energy Panels saying that it will reduce my bills by 40% and cost me nothing to be installed as they owned by Southern Energy.

This is the deal here:

Solar PV Systems | Free Installation on the South Coast | Southern Energy Solutions

Is this as good as it looks ? can you foresee any pitfalls ? Has anyone had Solar Panels fitted and can offer advice.

Regards

Re: Solar Panels

Not problems as such, but would depend on WHEN you use your leccy. If you are at home most of the day, watching TV, doing the washing etc, thats where the biggest saving will be, however, there will be little saving if everyone is at work.

Also, need to check WHO is responsible for the panels - damage etc.

And remember there will be no feedin tariff if you choose the free installation (sorry if this is stating the obvious)
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Both me, the wife and our mum in law is home during the day most of the time, all responsibility for maintenance and of cause insurance in case of damage to our property lies with southern energy.

This is there checkatrade page:

Southern Energy Solutions Ltd | Renewable Energy in Fareham, Hampshire, PO14 1AH

Not really bothered about the feed in as I do not believe they offer a good return anyway I was more concerned about reducing my bill and using the money saved to reduce my debts.

DECC - Department of Energy Climate Change
      Last edited by pompeyfaith; 10 April 2012, 22:15.

Comment

hi pompeyfaith
        i was going to get the free solar panels fitted to my roof until i read an article in the guardian stating people that have had these fitted will find it very hard to either re- mortgage their house or to sell it, the contract is for 25 years and is noted on your land registry.
        if you did deciede to move then the new owner of your house would have to be willing to take over the contract if not it could cost 15000.00 to get out of the contract.
        the only time this doesn't seem to cause a problem is if you have paid for the solar panels and are not fixed to any contract. it made me think it wasn't worth it, i am going to stay well clear from any doorsales men offering free solar panels hope this helps.
        ALWAYS SMILE NO MATTER HOW BROKEN YOU ARE

Comment

Probably not being of much help here, but in case?
          I recently met a chap who is a rep for a company who installs solar panels free of charge. His is an independent company? The deal he offers is you get the panels and as much free daytime electricity as you need and they get any profit from what is sold to the grid for 25 years. The downside is the agreement has to be sold on with the property as in effect you are leasing your roof for 25 years.

He told me his greatest regret was that his own roof wasn't South Facing enough for him to install the panels on his own home.

He seems a very decent sort (well he would be as I bought a car from him) If you would like to try him for some independent advice I could pm you his number?

Regards, Handy
          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I recently met a chap who is a rep for a company who installs solar panels free of charge. His is an independent company? The deal he offers is you get the panels and as much free daytime electricity as you need and they get any profit from what is sold to the grid for 25 years. The downside is the agreement has to be sold on with the property as in effect you are leasing your roof for 25 years.
            Who would own the lease when, two or three years hence, the original company goes bust?

I'd like some sort of reversion clause by which, if the company ceases trading, goes into administration, is liquidated or the terms of the agreement are otherwise adversely altered for any reason, the lease will revert to the householder in residence at that time.

Comment

You need to check what implications there are should you wish to remortgage, i read in the paper yesterday that lenders are refusing to remortgage people with solar panels because of the length of time to repay the electric company for them. or rather, the term of the "lease" if its installed for free.

Its true what others have said, if your at home all day you could save money, your house needs to be facing south to get maximum usage.

If people are out all day at work it does little to save anything, as a comparison, i calculated, my house would take around 10 years before i saw a return on my electric bill, thats forgetting the fact that energy prices would have increased inline by then also, so in reality, wouldnt save anything.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice all, this is a four bedroom south facing hence why he probably knocked my door.

As Carol says the contract term and selling is the stumbling block and as our mum is 84 and our two sons 18 and 21 the chances of us staying here for 25 yrs is very remote and we will be wanting to downgrade and/or private rent.

As this is an ex council house and brought very cheaply there is in excess of £90k equity and thinking about it I do not want to put that at risk and thus will give it a miss.

Once again this site comes up trumps thank you all

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by pompeyfaith View Post
                  As this is an ex council house
                  That's another point to consider - will the ticky-tacky support the weight of the panels?

Comment

Working...
                  X