Cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats

Yes I am seeking that eternal elixir that keeps cats off, if anyone has any ideas please please please let me know, we have tried and all have failed:

Pee off plants - don't know their proper name.

Garlic plants growing among the beds.

Pepper.

Chilli powder.

Chopped up fresh chilli.

Lavender.

Slices of citrus peel scattered about.

Water - yes water!! Squirty thing that sprays at them.

Ultrasonic scarer.

Ferret crap.

Lion dung. Though both replace one smell with another, not good.

Cd's as a reflector.

Water in clear bottles, similar to reflector effect.

Most of the off the shelf repellents.

I had a little bit of success with mouse traps, I discretely hid 12 of them just under the surface of their favorite crapping places, 4 are missing (traps that is) so something has had a scare.

I tried cleaning the mess daily and soaking everywhere with Zoflora citrus, this was quite good but has to be done every couple of days to stay effective, also this doesn't harm the plants and makes the garden smell quite nice too.

We did used to have a whippet that was the ultimate deterrent but she sadly died, the main problem is the front garden, I can watch them walking towards our house pulling their keks down ready to unload.

I know they do not like the nice smells such as perfumes which is why I think the Zoflora works.

Any more tips from anyone?

Re: Cats

Hi Vos

Not sure if this is of any help for you.

http://landscaping.about.com/od/pest...repellents.htm

Comment

Garlic bulb crushed around the beds..tried the plants and they never worked bulbs however weirdly did

One of those sonic cat chaser thingies?

Comment

Thanks Di, reading through it all I think the only one I have not tried is the Mr. McGregor's Fence, I like the idea of an electric fence I must admit

I have found that if you scare them a few times they do tend to keep away, my next door neighbour has chickens and he uses a gun that fires little plastic balls and it seems to work well.

I did write to the local council but they were as much help as a chocolate teapot, I asked if cats were a domestic pet? The answer I got was "yes", until I said "in that case the owners have to take responsibility for it's mess and can be prosecuted under local by-laws", they then said that they think it is a roaming animal, so I replied with "in that case it is vermin and can be destroyed if it's on my property", they then changed their mind and said not but to clarify they would be back in contact with me - ho-hum, 18 months later and not a word!! After doing some research I found that councils won't commit to saying what area cat's come under, it is not clear, I was told that if I didn't clean up the mess on my front garden I could be prosecuted though by public health, and I was told that if I throw the mess back on the owners garden 4 doors away (she has 6 of them) I could also be prosecuted for causing a nuisance!

Comment

I love cats but don't have one any more...and my dog keeps any intruders out.
          I do have ducks though and they are beggars for rooting down with their beaks under the shrubs in the garden.
          What I use to stop them digging, which might work for cats too, is fine black fruit mesh...the type they sell in garden centres to keep birds off raspberries etc..
          I lay it on the soil then cover it over slightly (in my case with bark chippings but a thin layer of soil or compost would be as good)
          The cats would NOT like scratching at the mesh.

Shep x

Comment

On a point of levity, don't dig your garden over quite so often. Cats like a surface that is soft and easy to dig. If you let the soil get as hard as concrete they will look elsewhere.

Beware of the faeces as the two most toxic substances known to mankind are Polar Bear Liver and Cat Poo, that's why nothing grows in the Arctic or My Garden

Seriously though, as I cat lover myself it can be a problem. Could you not ask / persuade your neighbour to provide a soft spot in their own garden for the cats. I have even had my cats come back inside to use the litter tray rather than have to dig

Regards, Handy
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
              Garlic bulb crushed around the beds..tried the plants and they never worked bulbs however weirdly did

One of those sonic cat chaser thingies?
              I got two of those sonic things, I have found cat mess underneath it, they just walk straight past it, I used to grow my own garlic and they never went near it so I planted garlic all along the beds and in between the flowers, it seems they just get used to it - would love to know what happened to my other four mouse traps though

Comment

WE have one neighbour 4 doors away who has six cats, the one across the road has two and one other around the corner but their garden is next door but two from us has five of the things, they are everywhere, it is a nuisance and as yet I have found no real deterrence.

Oh well, I might just by more traps.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                  would love to know what happened to my other four mouse traps though
                  Well if the Toms stop fathering kittens you will know

Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                  Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I hope you find the right remedy Vos, good luck.

I do have a cat, but he is indoors all the time, not at all interested in being outside, and do not have probs with other cats in the street luckily.

Could not resist but post mine here for you pmsl.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                      I hope you find the right remedy Vos, good luck.

I do have a cat, but he is indoors all the time, not at all interested in being outside, and do not have probs with other cats in the street luckily.

Could not resist but post mine here for you pmsl.
                      Thanks Di

Nice pussy you have there btw
                      Last edited by vossy; 21 April 2012, 17:50.

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post

Thanks Di

Nice pussy you have there btw

lmao lush or what?

Comment

I have 2 cats and belong to cats protection society so really dislike the idea of traps! Fortunately my cats are indoors, a lot boils down to their owners, as the RSPCA have said it's an old wives tale to put the cat out at night.
                          Cats are being cats it isn't premeditated going on flowerbeds. My Dad won prizes for gardening but he would never hurt animals for the sake of a plant - however nice.
                          They say the UK are a nation of animal lovers, that's utter poo

Comment

Originally posted by Bosieb View Post
                            I have 2 cats and belong to cats protection society so really dislike the idea of traps! Fortunately my cats are indoors, a lot boils down to their owners, as the RSPCA have said it's an old wives tale to put the cat out at night.
                            Cats are being cats it isn't premeditated going on flowerbeds. My Dad won prizes for gardening but he would never hurt animals for the sake of a plant - however nice.
                            They say the UK are a nation of animal lovers, that's utter poo
                            It isn't for the sake of a plant though, this stuff smells vile and it is very toxic, my niece brings her daughter over who loves to play in the garden, we cannot risk the harm that cat mess can do to her or anyone else, if the law was clear on the subject of whether a cat is a domestic pet or a roaming animal things would be much simpler, the woman down the road would not keep taking them in if she was prosecuted for not cleaning up after them such as a dog owner is. Cats can be taught to use just their own litter trays but SOME cat owners just don't care about other people. I have no problem with responsible cat owners, it is the irresponsible ones that trouble me.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              lush or what?
                              Blimey Di, my sister in law says that, I just thought it was something on Gavin and Stacey

They live in Pontllanfraith btw.

Comment

Working...
                              X