GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Cake Cake and yes MORE Cake - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cake Cake and yes MORE Cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cake Cake and yes MORE Cake

As many of you may already know (as I have probably bored the pants of you...) my little hobby of making the odd cup cake and birthday cake took off in a big way this summer. Along with one of my closest friends we have begun to makes cakes on a much larger scale.

So on this thread I will post up some photos of projects we have completed and I would appreciate any comments (good or bad as we need the critisim so we can improve). I know there are some great bakers and cooks out there so any advice would be great.

Pricing - help on that would be good as we are a bit rubbish still - don't what to charge too much but obv want to make a little profit (I have been lucky to already have some help with that from some of you lovely peeps - although when we start talking about %'s my eyes glazed over..........) And who knows in the future we need tips on starting up our own small business! (although right now we not earning enough to give up the day jobs!!)

It would be great to share recipes or tips too!

At the moment we are just getting orders from recommendations (family and friends) and then not forgetting Good Old Facebook and we have acutally been getting repeat orders so we can't be that bad!!

Also please feel free to post up your creations too!

Loo
    x

Re: Cake Cake and yes MORE Cake

These are our first two cakes of 2013

This one is an 8" chocolate cake (made for a good friend so only charged for ingredients)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lola2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1392382

this one is a 7" Victoria Sponge - this was a last minute order from a returning customer - she asked us on Saturday afternoon for this - to be picked up today
    Last edited by LooLoo; 9 January 2013, 09:50.

Comment

LOVEEEE it ill come back when ive got bit of timeeeee

Comment

I love the princess cake Loo. They didn't give you much time to let the fondant icing set did they?

I'll post some photos of my cakes later...I love decorating them but hate the baking!
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Great idea to do a thread for this Loo.
          Your cakes are gorgeous and although it's early days I bet you'll be able to give up the day job eventually!

Comment

I've thought about making a business of my hobby but, like you, I'd be worried over the pricing, especially as I wouldn't be able to charge "Suvvern" prices. Another problem is the hygiene side of it. if it were a business I'd probably have to have a hygiene certificate and I don't think I'd get that with a dog and a cat in the house.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
              I love the princess cake Loo. They didn't give you much time to let the fondant icing set did they?

I'll post some photos of my cakes later...I love decorating them but hate the baking!
              Please doooooooo!

I made the princess on Saturday - she set ok.......

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
              Your cakes are gorgeous and although it's early days I bet you'll be able to give up the day job eventually!
              thanks hun - I know you Jen and Pix all follow the page on FB too and really appreciate your comments and likes there

I've thought about making a business of my hobby but, like you, I'd be worried over the pricing, especially as I wouldn't be able to charge "Suvvern" prices. Another problem is the hygiene side of it. if it were a business I'd probably have to have a hygiene certificate and I don't think I'd get that with a dog and a cat in the house.
              I think you should when you have time - at the end of the day - we were doing things quite cheap - then we though we need to charge for our time - so now we give a price - if peeps don't like it then they can buy an unpersonalised one from a supermarket - up to them.

i am lucky as most of our stuff is done at my friends house (Pet free) we are now thinking of our Hygine course and also public liability insurance - things to consider as things take off.

But I have seen a couple of cake/bakery home businesses on FB have pets and i am sure they must have passed a certifciate - so don't think NO?

Your cake decorating is amazing you should think about it

Comment

Out of interest - what sort of prices would you think should be charged for the the two cakes above?

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
                  Out of interest - what sort of prices would you think should be charged for the the two cakes above?
                  £2.00 Each.....

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                    Originally posted by in 2 deep View Post
                    £2.00 Each.....
                    *Ahem*

how much should a portion of chips be these days ? 20p?

Comment

You know my thoughts on pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                        You know my thoughts on pricing.
                        that we are too cheap

rhahahahahaha

Comment

Jen what are your thoughts on public liability insurance and health and hygiene certs

Comment

Deffoo I have my hygiene and insurance for catering. its cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                              Deffoo I have my hygiene and insurance for catering. its cheap.
                              do you think you can send me and C some links please - as i think we need to get something in place

Comment

Working...
                              X