GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Handy tip for selling or taxing new car - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handy tip for selling or taxing new car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handy tip for selling or taxing new car

This might be a handy tip for anyone buying a new/2nd hand car and wants to tax it online using the new keeper V5C/2 part of the log book. I recently aquired a car from a family member and trying to do the tax online it asks for the 12 digit ref number from the V5C/2 slip. My ref number is only 11 digits long and won't accept it. I did a google search and others have had similar problems. I think that the older green V5 are 11 digits and the replacement red V5 are 12 digits. If your V5 is 11 digits then just stick a 0 in front and it then accepts the ref number and brings up the vehicle details to tax it online.

If you're selling a motor you can also notify the sale online without having to post off the V5. Just enter the date of sale and new keeper details along with email address of both seller & buyer and you both get instant email notification. If you send the V5 via post DVLA put the onus on you to notify DVLA if you haven't received their confirmation letter within 4 weeks - so this is handy as you don't have to rely on the post or waiting for the confirmation letter and you have instant email proof that you have notified them that you're no longer the registered keeper.

Re: Handy tip for selling or taxing new car

Well that was quick! On Monday we notified change of keeper using the DVLA online service and today (Thurs) the post has just delivered the new V5 log book in my name.

Comment

Originally posted by panther12 View Post
      Well that was quick! On Monday we notified change of keeper using the DVLA online service and today (Thurs) the post has just delivered the new V5 log book in my name.
      Brilliant, thank you for the tip Panther
      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Useful info Panther 12, thanks.

Comment

we got a reminder to tax our car

says that you can only pay the tax for the year not allowed to do 6 month, or even direct debit monthly

well, the tax for our car is £0.0 anyhow - what a waste of paper!! lol
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by 5corpio View Post
            we got a reminder to tax our car

says that you can only pay the tax for the year not allowed to do 6 month, or even direct debit monthly

well, the tax for our car is £0.0 anyhow - what a waste of paper!! lol

Hi, You'd be surprised at how many people with £0.00 tax don't realise they still have to actually tax the car annually,then end up with big penalties for not taxing. Probably a good thing that they get a reminder.

By the way, those older V5C/2's can also be used at the Post Office even if the online system won't accept them.

Comment

Working...
            X