GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mother been diagnosed with Heart Failure

So pleased your Mum is improving SXGuy, you've been largely instrumental in this with your care and persistance! Well done you.

If it was me I'd be thinking about getting her off the statins now due to their side effects, but I'd substitute with Flora Proactive for a more natural, side effect free maintenance. We use the buttery version.
    It really does work....It's kept my OH's cholesterol under control when he had to come off statins because of ankle swelling and triggering his gout.

Comment

Cheers for that. I agree. I will talk to her about it today.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi guys.

Can someone help me with something please.

Have applied for a blue badge for my mother as she is having a hard time walking anywhere at the moment, mainly wheelchair bound due to anaemia and her heart.

Im really confused at what other disability benefits she may be entitled to.

From what I can see, she can claim an attendance allowance as im basically her carer 5 days a week. But everything else such as DLA and PIP all seem to be tailored to people under the age of 65.

Is there any type of disability benefit she may be entitled to for a woman living alone, and over the age of 70?

Just to recap, she has stage 3/4 congestive heart failure, anaemia, and suffered 2 strokes. Im her only transport.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry I can't help but try and contact Pompey as he is the expert on benefits.

how is your mum? And how is your OH?

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            Hi guys.

Can someone help me with something please.

Have applied for a blue badge for my mother as she is having a hard time walking anywhere at the moment, mainly wheelchair bound due to anaemia and her heart.

Im really confused at what other disability benefits she may be entitled to.

From what I can see, she can claim an attendance allowance as im basically her carer 5 days a week. But everything else such as DLA and PIP all seem to be tailored to people under the age of 65.

Is there any type of disability benefit she may be entitled to for a woman living alone, and over the age of 70?

Just to recap, she has stage 3/4 congestive heart failure, anaemia, and suffered 2 strokes. Im her only transport.
            Hi SXGuy

Have similar with mother-in-law. She gets attendance allowance and so cant get other benefits, however it seems she will move over to PIP at some stage. The local authority do pay her rent and some care. Partner does a lot and gets carers allowance (which presumably should apply to you but means you can only earn a small amount on top of this). Carers allowance is miserly and certainly doesn't cover all the costs involved in caring for her mom. Apart from the energy grant (£140ish) and free TV licence that's about all she gets. Don't forget to push the local authority for an assessment of your needs as a carer (might help but don't hold your breath). Hope that's a bit helpful and good luck with it all.

Tierisch

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
              Sorry I can't help but try and contact Pompey as he is the expert on benefits.

how is your mum? And how is your OH?
              she's getting there slowly. Anemia keeps setting her back to be honest, going for another blood test to see if its any better this week, doing great at the gym just very fatigued. oh is good, we went for our 12 week scan Tuesday, new baby appears healthy and on course. Due first week in may.

Originally posted by tierisch View Post
              Hi SXGuy

Have similar with mother-in-law. She gets attendance allowance and so cant get other benefits, however it seems she will move over to PIP at some stage. The local authority do pay her rent and some care. Partner does a lot and gets carers allowance (which presumably should apply to you but means you can only earn a small amount on top of this). Carers allowance is miserly and certainly doesn't cover all the costs involved in caring for her mom. Apart from the energy grant (£140ish) and free TV licence that's about all she gets. Don't forget to push the local authority for an assessment of your needs as a carer (might help but don't hold your breath). Hope that's a bit helpful and good luck with it all.

Tierisch
              Thanx for the info. It was pretty much what I expected. I don't qualify for carers allowance as I earn to much. The council were really good with offering carers however mum doesn't want them. She would rather I helped her. Bit of a strain to be honest but as I'm there for work 5 days a week I guess it makes sense. Hopefully they accept attendance allowance claim and blue badge.

Comment

what about stuff to help about the house? bathroom aids and walker aids you should be able to get what she needs to make her life easier. MiL has osteoporosis and we managed to get all of that although they don't get any financial help because they don't need it. but the aids were free, also a wee bannister to help her in and out of the house but they only provide the front, not the back which is a bit strange

Comment

I got her bath seats and rail grabs when she came out of hospital. She can't use a walking aid as she only has use of one hand plus she can't walk to far at the moment. But they were offered to her. Main thing is the blue badge really. That would in a strange way give her the courage to try and walk a bit more but I'm not telling the council that as they would see it as not needing a badge if you see what I mean.

Comment

Just an update, mums Aneamia is now under control, its 12.2. Gonna buy just some normal iron with vit c tablets from sainsburys and give her one a day to keep it topped up while shes on warfarin.

Warfarin should end around 5th January 15 with a bit of luck.

Her breathing has also improved as a result. So back to the gym to build up her strength again.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                      I got her bath seats and rail grabs when she came out of hospital. She can't use a walking aid as she only has use of one hand plus she can't walk to far at the moment. But they were offered to her. Main thing is the blue badge really. That would in a strange way give her the courage to try and walk a bit more but I'm not telling the council that as they would see it as not needing a badge if you see what I mean.
                      MiL has a wee neat seat which is a walker and it has a kind of bar at the top so could be used with one hand, it means that she can walk, then sit down for a minute then walk again. It is quite light and can be put in the car if she's going to a restaurant or somewhere where we won't get the wheelchair in.

Comment

Oh right cheers for that I'll have a look around.

Comment

Oh right cheers for that I'll have a look around.

Comment

Mum's been accepted and awarded attendance allowance of 54 pounds a week back dated to 27th October. So that's brilliant. Just waiting on whether they allow her to have a blue badge or not.

Comment

well that's some good News. fingers crossed for the blue badge. xx

Comment

got my blue badge pretty quick as I use a stick mostly now as aggravated muscle in the back and awaiting injections, mind you bit late now over a year waiting., also walking distance marred without stopping, originally had hip replacement!

Comment

Working...
                                X