GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script foundation/face base - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

foundation/face base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foundation/face base

ah go on, i'll start a thread in the new section

i've got a bit slack in the make up department and will soon be buying a new foundation.

it's a minefield! my initial thought was to go to one of the make up counters in Boots, but then wouldn't they just sell me their foundation?

what foundation do you use? can you recommend one? i'm after one that is light in weight and light in colour. do you use a sponge or your fingers to apply it?

i can't spend a fortune on one, but would rather invest in a decent one than scrimp on quality.

thanks

Re: foundation/face base

I use a mineral foundation as it's supposed to be kinder to the skin (I suffer from rosacea.)

Mine's powder and I haven't quite got the knack of applying it. Youre supposed to load the brush and then tap it to get the surplus off....but mine goes everywhere! In spite of this it lasts for ages.

My daughter uses a liquid mineral foundation so I might try this when mine runs out.
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Mmm I second that. I've moved over to a mineral foundation and find it incredibly easy. I'm not very good with makeup and I find it far easier to get an even finish with mineral stuff. I find the knack is to not overload the brush (mine has a sieve type contraption inthe top, which helps) and to use circular movements when applying it.
      I find it gives a nice fresh look whereas many foundations used to leave me looking a bit dull.

Hope this helps!
      Niddified and proud!

Fought and won the UE battle, thanks to Niddy and this forum...
      SB since 2016. Now have my life back!

(I used to be MustGetStraight but I've lost a "t")

Comment

thank you both...mineral sounds good to me! i'm going to Boots in the week to see what i can find.....xx

Comment

I spent ages trying to find a foundation and what base should I use, how do you get the glow, even skin as you see every one with?? I hear that the best foundations are MAC face and body, also MAC concealer is great clinique, HD. If you ever look online at HD make up it is very light, great for your skin, etc... I am still at nearly 40 trying to work out the whole blusher tricks where you blend 3 different ones together... LOL

I think the key thing is getting a balance in your skin moisture. If you have oily skin you need a bit of setting power and if dry you need a nice moisturiser with a fresh bit of pink tone in it! NO7 do a nice moisturiser Instance Radiance Beauty Balm that you can wear on its own if you have good skin! I dont but I do wear under my foundation to add a bit of a glow. As I am ill all the time in between doing all my debts I also watched a few videos on make up and have been a bit obsessed of late as I said with the blusher using the 3 to make your face really glow.. When I get the hang of it or find a good video I will let you know, but dont hold your breath as at the moment its like a big splodge on my face!

If you get a few mins try watching dimondsandheels web site or pixiewoo who both know and do it in a matter of minutes not days like me ;-)

Comment

Ooooo just seen this thread.

I've just switched from Clarins to Lancome. Foundation is one of the things I'm really fussy about.... and a good mascara so in my opinion, it's worth paying a bit more for both. I was happy with Clarins foundation for years until they "improved" their range which as far as I could make out, was just adding more water to it.... which made it cr@p.

I use my fingers to apply the Lancome one it but it's best applied with a brush apparently. Don't put it on bare skin though; use a light moisturiser base. I use a light dusting of bronzing powder over it and it lasts all day.

Remember the mantra:
            NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
            Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
            Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I don't wear it (because I don't know how) but I went to my salons make up night and it was mineral it felt soooo light and non greasy

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
                Ooooo just seen this thread.

I've just switched from Clarins to Lancome. Foundation is one of the things I'm really fussy about.... and a good mascara so in my opinion, it's worth paying a bit more for both. I was happy with Clarins foundation for years until they "improved" their range which as far as I could make out, was just adding more water to it.... which made it cr@p.

I use my fingers to apply the Lancome one it but it's best applied with a brush apparently. Don't put it on bare skin though; use a light moisturiser base. I use a light dusting of bronzing powder over it and it lasts all day.

Have you tried Pollyfilla with a light dusting of Ajax? Usually best applied with a trowel.

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
                  I don't wear it (because I don't know how) but I went to my salons make up night and it was mineral it felt soooo light and non greasy
                  If you get a minute Jen watch one of the video's I have listed and they give you a mixture of different foundations and how to apply it. I was looking at MAC and HD because my skin isnt completley clear and is oily one minute and dry the next...

I agree with P1 that a good foundation and mascara is worth getting. I havent used Lancome foundation but love there bronzer. It all depends on your skin.

I will try and find some more video's and post them up soon. There are plenty on mineral powder foundation too.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post
                    Have you tried Pollyfilla with a light dusting of Ajax? Usually best applied with a trowel.
                    I have Vint! Works wonders in a morning for the early mornings!

Comment

Ilike to pass these healthy tips on Flossy.

Off to the weight watchers thread now, to offer encouragement there.

Comment

Originally posted by vint1954 View Post

Only after a heavy night Vint....
                        Remember the mantra:
                        NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
                        Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
                        Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Comment

I will watch Im always interested.

Comment

Well i tried a Clinique one which went on well until i saw a photo of me and realised she had sold me one too dark for my skin. I then moved onto a Boots one but it was too thin and didn't look right.

I'm now onto a MAC one and i love it. It's the palest one they do

Comment

Working...
                            X