GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

Just a wee quickie on this HMRC confirmed a refund of £1050 today on the telephone I am just awaiting on it hitting my bank
    "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

A turnaround of £12,029 is quite impressive!
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yeah I thought so, tho it has taken me over a year to get it sorted, think i might bill them for all my time that i have spent sorting it all out
        "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

Originally posted by Mags76 View Post
          Just a wee quickie on this HMRC confirmed a refund of £1050 today on the telephone I am just awaiting on it hitting my bank

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Awesome. Result
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Wow amazing - we are paying back an overpaid that makes me mad - as soon as I changed jobs I told them of my increase in pay (quite considerable due to going from part to full time and they stopped the payments there and then) at the end of the year they wrote to us and said they were back dating the calculation on my new earnings for two years and we owed them £1700. When I queried it I was told it was a new change and that they could now take back 2 years of awards. Just seems really unfair as when we were receiving the tax credits we really needed them and as soon as we didnt we informed them, I am paying it back at £50 per month (as their adviser recommended as he thought it stank too) but it really upsets me that through no fault of ours we ended up owing so much Don't fancy taking on my case do you?

Jane x

Comment

Jane....................Sorry not been on in a while.................................might I suggest...................if you told them of a change and they have not updated it properly its worth looking into, SAR them it costs nothing. They will send you all copies of paperwork and any recordings of calls. I found my evidence of their negligence in the paperwork that they sent back to me and they instantly admitted fault.

I got my £1100 refund last friday woop woop!!!! and now I have complained to the director of Tax Cradits because of the time it took them to get their act together.........i first complained Oct 2013.

I'm awaiting a reply, i gave hime 14 days to answer.

Comment

oh another point....................why on earth are they going back two years..........this sounds .............well fishy. if you told them straight away then it should not affect any other year except the one you are on surely!!!

Comment

Paye always works a year behind with tax calculations. It may be what they ment. Current year and previous. Although I'd still do as magz suggests as they can be wrong.
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks both - what happened was I told them on day one of my new job - my income went from £9000 per annum to £35,000 overnight, although I didnt start the job until September. My money obviously stopped immediately which was fine - I was so excited to be in a position not to need it - When they did the end of year assessment in the following July they worked out that I had been overpaid in that year (fair enough) but they also reassessed the previous year making my over payment for 2 years - now that was the bit I just cant get my head around - in that year we were really in need of the help we received and due to my hard work and determination when I got the job of my dreams I feel they penalised me.

We have nearly paid it back now but I was totally unaware of the 2 year rule; a very nice advisor helped me through it as I thought I was going to have to pay the whole thing back in one go He actually stated his disgust at the way their service was changing.....

Jane x

Comment

a client of ours received paye coding notices and overpayment statements going back 6 years, because they had coded his pension wrong in comparison to his self assessment earnings.

HMRC are and continue to be a bit of a joke at getting their information correct.

Which is why from April 16 they plan on allowing accountants who agent access to physically adjust peoples tax codings as an when needed.

While I welcome the ability for accounts to resolve client issues themselves by bypassing HMRC, I do have to wonder whether this is just the start of something bigger, i.e HMRC giving up the will to try and fix their problems, and just passing the buck to the agent, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                        X