GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

Can anyone shed any light on the way to tackle Tax Credits people, I have received a letter stating that I owe £10979 in overpayments eek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Re: HMRC Tax Credits say i owe £10,979 in overpaid payments

From when ...? what dates ?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Deepie I spoke to them on the phone and they say it is for

year ending april 13 balance owed to them £7884.24
      and also
      year ending april 14 balance owed to them £3345
      "you are only coming through in waves, your lips move but i cant hear what your saying iiii iiii iiii have become comfortably numb"

Comment

So you were getting £300pm that you weren't due? Eeek - good luck. You must repay it sadly. There's no loopholes

Just check your claim dates and then recheck again.
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Just to let you know I have downloaded the SAR form to send to them I will get it in the post tomorrow.
          When I spoke to them I have been getting different answers
          first I was told that it was an error in 20011
          then I was told that it took them 20 months to update info I had given them on starting a new job in Nov 2011 (they updated that info on system Sept 2013)

I assume that this is the issue they were referring to in 2011 as the mistake, but not my fault .........right???

Comment

Niddy, you make a good point but this is what she told me on the phone

I was receiving in the year ending 2013 £149.16 per week
            I was receiving in the year ending 2014 £152.03 per week

Comment

First thing you need to do is check what you was actually receiving against what they claim you were receiving. If they are wrong about payments received show them proof I.e a bank statement. If it is indeed the fact that they overpaid you because they failed to change the amount you received after notifying them of a change in circumstances than sadly it's due to be repaid and there's no way to avoid it. However the fact they have admitted that they didn't update their records for 2 years means you may be able to negotiate a better repayment plan. They will no doubt reduce any benefits you currently receive to claw it back. How much they take each month will be the decider on whether you need to argue to reduce it based on their error. Not sure how far it will get you but worth a punt.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks SXGuy

another error on their renewal forms was my partners income was stated for the year 2009/2010 to be £52291

now I can assure you he makes absolutely nothing like this amount hahahaha

Comment

That is odd, if they stated his income was £52291, thats way over the limit for tax credits. If they thought that was his income you wouldnt be entited to anything.

Actually, are you certain this isnt what has caused them to demand you have been overpaid? is the claim for the whole lot of tax credit in those years, or part of it? This could be the reason for all of it!

Time to do some digging, you need to find out exactly, a) what you were paid, b) the difference they are claiming if any, and c) whether this is based on that amount they gave in error!

Comment

Just to clarify if you SAR the DWP (or its agencies (CSA etc)) then there is no £10 statutory fee to pay. Just send the request and edit the mention of attaching £10 to say "I understand that the DWP does not charge for Subject Access Requests however if this has since changed please let me know and I'll send the relevant fee"

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

HI thanks for the info

I sent of a SAR by recorded delivery this morning, and just to let you know I also e-maild my local MP who is going to look into it for me....

Hey it cant hurt can it haha (i've heard of other people doing this and the MP helped a great deal)

Comment

salary as stated on tax credits forms

partners salry 6 april 2012 to 5 april 2013 £31296
                        my salary £8375

6 april 2011 to 5 april 2012 £27400
                        my salry £4502

6 april 2010 to 5 april 2011 £52291
                        my salary £0

started back to work nov 2011 which i told them about

surely we should not have been getting any tax credits or working tax credits at all ???????

sorry just to clarify my partners wages are around £24000 per year

Comment

Ok now we know what they have stated. What we're yours and your partners salaries in those same years?

Comment

Hi

I did not work until nov 2011 which was a part time job and my salary was roughly £8500pa

partner has been in same job for years so salary always roughly ben the same approx £24000 maybe a little more but certainly not £31k or £52k hahahahahaha

Comment

hi mags, just wanted to pop in and say all the best with this. Hopefully its a mistake on their behalf and will get sorted.
                              Best SA
                              When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X