GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help! Rolling two weeks of pay into one... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Rolling two weeks of pay into one...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Rolling two weeks of pay into one...

Can those of you with payroll experience help me with this one?

Like a complete muppet, I forgot to submit last week's payslip for authorisation. I only remembered it this afternoon while filling out this week's and checking my balance on my smartphone app.

Will I be stung for tax by having two weeks' worth of money but only one week's personal allowance? I'm not being taxed on a "week 1" basis, so I think this won't happen. Am I right about that? And what about national insurance?

Thanks.

Re: Help! Rolling two weeks of pay into one...

Hiya

Don't worry - it is divided into equal amounts so the fact you didn't submit payroll this week won't matter, it will be the same getting double next as getting two separate pays - been there, read the book
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I'll ask Tastyjane to pop in - she'll know
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Niddy; I love your faith in me but actually I'm rubbish at payroll I have a lady that works for me that does that!!! Having said that I thought that if you were on week 1 tax code all the payment would be liable for tax and NI after one 52th of your personal allowance so it would mean you pay more NI and tax and it would be adjusted when you went onto a cumulative tax code or complete a tax return. Why are you week 1? I might be wrong but I will do some reading up - if I'm right you would have any overpayment of tax paid back once you complete a tax return at year end I think - I would be applying to be put on a permanent tax code...... Let me do some reading and I'll get back to you.

Jane x

Comment

If you think you are on an M1/W1 code and have not been transferred onto a cumulative tax code within a few months of starting your new job, you should contact your employer. If this does not resolve the postion, contact HMRC (on the Taxes Helpline 0300 200 3300).
          If you are still on an M1 /W1 code at the end of the tax year you may not have paid the right amount of tax and could be due a refund.The refund should happen automatically when HMRC reconcile the employer returns. If this happens, you should be repaid in about June / July following the end of the tax year.
          In order to claim a refund before this, you will need to contact the tax office for a refund – see https://www.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay#2 . If HMRC asks you to send in your P60 form(s), make sure you keep copies.
          If your new employer is still using a 1000L W1 or M1 code at the end of the tax year, then, at the start of the next tax year, they should change your code to the standard cumulative code for that new tax year.

Yep as I thought - its not good to be on a W1 code - you need to follow the above link to claim back your tax from this pay period and get your code adjusted to the right one.

Jane x

Comment

teastyjane, I said I'm not being taxed on a "week 1" basis.

Comment

Oh then you will be fine ��

Comment

My problem right now is that the one for last week has now been approved by my line manager but this week's still hasn't shown up yet, so she can't approve it. There is a bit of a lag in the agency's system, especially on a Friday afternoon. I'm hoping it's just that and not the silly software holding it back because of two timesheets being submitted in the same week. :-/

EDIT: all sorted now.
                Last edited by evilcartman; 13 February 2015, 16:53. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
                X