GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Big ESA problem - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big ESA problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big ESA problem

Hello - my first post,
    i claimed ESA contributory in December 2012. I was on long term sick from work and coming to the end of my statutory sick pay and so was advised to claim ESA. I made the telephone application and was awarded it (ESA C ) without any problem - I had long term health issues, 39 bowel ops and a ileostomy, plus arthritis and depression. By the January I had been medically retired from a job I loved and had worked at for 25 years, I had a modest ill health pension. Herein lies the problem. I have onky just realised that ESA contribution is not actually just based on contributions as the name suggests - it is also partially means tested. I never formally wrote and told them about my private pension as I wrongly assumed at the time it wasn't relevant. I remember asking about savings and income and was told it was not means tested, no body mentioned the exception of the pension. I did phone them several times in 2013 to ask them about wither or not ESA was taxable and so must have mentioned the pension in the phne calls to them ( I was worried about my tax and had received conflicting info from HMRC which necessitated several phone calls to both organisations ). No one in the DWP picked up on it - also the fact I had worked for the council for 25 years and was being medically retired did not prompt anyone intheDWP to advise me about the relevance of a pension and ESA.
    so I am now faced with a massive problem. I found out about my error 6 weeks ago whilst in hospital recovering from a perforated Bowel. I phoned them and told them immediately I realised my mistake, i have also sent several letters plus 2 emails. I have had one letter in response which makes no sense and has resulted in a £10 xmasbonus being paid into my account (no idea). My ESA has been suspended which is good. I may still qualify for some ESA as my pension isn't that big.
    I am so depressed and seeing a psychiatrist ( my bowel perforated last year too - another long story which would require a separate thread ). My health has been ruined and I now have to wear several stoma bags. Around the time I applied for ESA back in 2012 my mother had a massive brain haemorrhage and is now very disabled. I had to deal with all of that but it's not as if I forgot to tell them about my pension, I genuinely didn't realise it was counted. I never tried to hide anything and am absolutely mortified at all if this, tryng to deal with the DWP Is a complete nightmare and I wondered if anyone has any advise for me please. Apart from long walk off short pier as that's what I feel like doing.
    Thank yiu .

Re: Big ESA problem

No walking off piers it's just not allowed !!!! someone will be along shortly to help you stay calm.x I too had a colostomy some years ago due to a perforated bowel and I know worry makes it worse , so one day at a time calmly.xxxxx
    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi and a big welcome from me. I am sorry about your terrible health problems, that is much more important than worrying about your ESA. You have now told them, they are notoriously slow in dealing with problems, so please try and relax over this, worrying will make your health worse. Keep checking as you will here from posters who can help.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If you're on Facebook join a group called 4up. They're great with these problems.

-> https://m.facebook.com/help4UP/
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X