Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraud

Hi
    I can not believe this has happened and so far I have suffered no financial loss

Yesterday I received within the space of a few minutes about 30 text messages from various pay day loan companies and brokers. This was followed later in the day by a similar number of emails and today a similar number of calls.

The calls asked for someone with my first name and a different surname

I then used one of the text messages to find they also had my street name and postcode but wrong door number and most worryingly of all my bank details - Ac No and Sort code

So they have
    My given name but not my family name
    My street , town and postcode but not my door number
    My email address - that includes an abbreviated given name and full last name
    They do not have my date of birth although they do have a date of birth of someone 18 years younger than me

One company I spoke to say they have my long card number but refused to divulge any part of it
    Another company has my account number and sort code

Action I have taken
    Emptied my bank account
    Contacted the bank to get a new card
    Contacted Action Fraud and got a reference number

Action fraud recommended contacting CIFAS and paying their fee but not sure if that is too much

Any thoughts if I should be doing anything else

About an hour or so before all this happened I used a work based PC with my log in to access a website (legit and not dodgy) and got a phishing message saying microsoft wanted me to call this toll free number and if I didn't they would report the IP address to the police but I just closed the window and ignored. Not sure if that is relevant or just a coincidence

I am somewhat concerned

You need to wait till things are opened up and start appearing on Equifax, Experian & Call Credit then contact the lender who should remove and de-link it from you.

Its a crap process. It’s this reason I started AAD 10 years ago! I was a victim and struggled but I did get get it sorted eventually.

Stick to facts. Nobody needs to know about the phishing popup / the fact you were online. It’s all rather irrelevant in dealing with it.

The fact is you didnt apply so start to monitor your credit files and anything fishy report it and start fighting for removal.

Process is a notice of correction on your credit files (all 3) against each dodgy search / account then you’d contact the lender and they in turn investigate and remove it and the CRA entries.

If they don’t play ball then you demand compo but cant seem that at this stage unless they all failed responsible lending / fraud checks - seems iffy in itself as the CRA would come back blank / unknown which would result in a decline & cat6 CIFAS being recorded.

The links here allow free access to your credit files -> https://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/credit-fraud-agencies
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks
      It does all seem very odd , with a different surname and slightly different address.

I understand Noddle is retrospective so only shows up the data from last month, there are searches on there from 9 to 12 months ago I do not recognise but who knows - now is the time to not apply for credit or new bank accounts so I know I have not instigated anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick65 View Post
        Hi

Action fraud recommended contacting CIFAS and paying their fee but not sure if that is too much

Any thoughts if I should be doing anything else

About an hour or so before all this happened I used a work based PC with my log in to access a website (legit and not dodgy) and got a phishing message saying microsoft wanted me to call this toll free number and if I didn't they would report the IP address to the police but I just closed the window and ignored. Not sure if that is relevant or just a coincidence

I am somewhat concerned
        I would also be very concerned !

I suggest to pay for the CIFAS protective registration which will make opening accounts harder for anyone including you, costs £20 I think for two years.

It does sound as though that PC has a malware so don't use that again, often arrives via a dodgy advert on a website or an email attachment,

I would change your email password and make sure as many services as possible have two factor login enabled, much safer as if a criminal takes control of your email account they will do 'forgot password' everywhere.

Lets hope you get it sorted.
        Last edited by February17; 23 May 2018, 13:51.

Comment

My gmail account has two factor log in as does my apple account. The machine was actually a work place machine with high end protection and logged in via my user ID and password.

Anyway, today i have logged into equifax and the credit report- real time was free. I wonder if that is true for everyone.

There has been no activity on my accounts.

Comment

Its good that you have two factor log in as so many people don't bother.

It is strange that you had a phishing pop up on your work PC, a decent adblocker such as ublock origin would have helped to stop that although on a work PC you might not be able install stuff.

Comment

The only software that can be installed is pre authorised such as Spss nvivo office etc

Comment

Working...
              X