GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Accident compensation scam. How do I stop them calling? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accident compensation scam. How do I stop them calling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accident compensation scam. How do I stop them calling?

Why do I always get caught up in these messes...

A few weeks ago I got a call from some company, saying that I was due compensation for an accident I had last year. Unfortunately, I fell for their 'we're connected to the government' line and answered their questions.

I should say that the accident was as minor as it gets - a motorbike ran into the back of me at a very low speed (it was on a speed ramp outside a school). There was a 2mm dent in my exhaust, and no injury.

This company said that I just need to give them the reg number of the other vehicle and they'll send me a cheque for 3.4k.

After the call, I googled them, and realised they're a claims chasing company.

When they called back, I told them to get stuffed.

But they keep ringing me.

I don't believe for one second there's a big cheque waiting for me. I hate using the phone and I'm not going to take a load of meds to calm me down to be able to ring my insurers for the other guys reg, for lots of reasons. a) he seemed a nice guy, and I don't want to set this company on him. b)if there were money waiting for me, I'm sure my insurers would have told me - I'm in the same address with the same insurers (different car though). c) I don't want to add to the 'thousands of compo for a stubbed toe (although a stubbed toe is far more traumatic than the accident was!!)' culture.

This company can't even keep to the same name! One day it's 'UK claims management direct' the next it's 'UK compensation department'.

Can anyone pleeeeease tell me how to get them off my back? They're almost as tenacious as debt collectors! Saying 'I'm not interested' doesn't work, if I hang up they ring straight back.

Re: Accident compensation scam. How do I stop them calling?

Aaaarghh, they've called me 4 times in the last half an hour! I've been leaving it to ring but it's driving me mad. 4th time I answered and just said please stop calling. Hopefully I'll get a few days' peace.

Comment

Somebody told me these people get £ 500 .....just for referring to a solicitor.....
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Ames,

Next time they call ask them for their registration number from the Ministry of Justice and the names of the solicitors they will be instructiung to handle your case. The reason being you tell them is that you are going to make a complaint to the MoJ and the Legal Ombudsman Service for their professional misconduct in the tactics they are using.

If they have any legitimacy they will tell you and you can check via the bodies concerned, if not they will in all probability put the phone down and you won't hear again. We had the "Legal Claim Line" representing the "Government" today concerning the compensation claim I didn't recieve and the accident I didn't have three months ago. there were three brats screaming in the background so she was politely referred to the proper legal channels and the responses made in Arkell v Pressdram. They are obviously using cold callers on a commission basis who work from home.

regards
        Garlok

Comment

Hi I2D,

Yes its quite a high fee as the somewhat dubious solicitors who operate with thes people work on a percentage basis of the overall claim. Much of this actually pushes up yours and mine insurance premiums. We have a friend who is the H & S officer for a series of caravan parks and some of things he tells us make your hair stand on end.

However all may not be lost as I understand the SRA has cocncerns and is investigating this practice of claims company referrals.

regards
          Garlok

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll ask them for their details and if they actually give me them then I'll make the complaint.

Today I told them I was ill (true) and they left it about two hours before ringing the phone of the hook for half an hour. Really not on.

Comment

Hi,
              my mum keeps getting calls about compensation for an accident that happened THREE YEARS AGO!!! She wasn't even in the car, it was another person on the insurance policy. The car was only slightly damaged and repaired within a week of the accident. The drivers of both cars were not injured in the slightest.

To all intents and purposes there are no claims to be made from this little bump. However, try getting these people to understand.

EVERYDAY I am screening these calls as my relatives are so fed up with these calls. I am answering 5 a day!!! The tell me that compensation has been put aside to claim and that it is part of insurance policies now to do this.

Please tell me what I can do to get them to stop.... I am looking for work and every time the phone rings I think it is a job agency calling me about a possible interview.....

Thank you for your advice!!!

Comment

TPS --> Telephone Preference Service
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

little app, free and works great.
                  also keeps logs but doesn't let your phone ring.
                  from google play on androids.

calls blacklist
                  very easy to use
                  Do you think I look like Hitler?

Comment

Wow thanks Kuma putting this on my new android now

Comment

Is this the one:

Calls Blacklist - Android Apps on Google Play..

Comment

yup...stops your phone ringing when you don't want to hear from them.

kuma
                        Do you think I look like Hitler?

Comment

I had a car accident a year ago, and have been getting calls on my mobile daily ever since my claim was settled with my insurer. Number is always withheld or private so it is difficult to block. Company calls themselves "Advice Solutions". They call morning, noon and night offering to get money for whiplash or personal injury.I am not interested in any of this, I was not injured in the slightest. Yesterday I finally had enough, I was ready for their latest call. When I answered I asked them to stop calling me or I said I would be serving legal papers to them if they continue, Arrogant caller replied "Where are you sending them to", as in, he knows they are out of reach and operate in a virtual, unstoppable bubble that no-one can touch. I didn't swear, I didn't rage, but I was very clear that I don't want any more calls and that I am not interested in their service. I am looking forward to the next call when I plan to waste their time. I plan to make a webpage about this company and to spread the word about their antics. So, who are Advice Solutions ?? More soon.

Update: I am posting a letter to my insurance company, they are the ones who passed on my details, they can sort it. Letter written and ready to go.
                          Last edited by Rooster123; 16 January 2014, 11:58. Reason: Added

Comment

Complain to the ICO - that'll sort it.....
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I keep a referee whistle by my telephone for calls like this..

Answer 'phone.... find out it's someone you don't want to speak to... say "Can you hang on a second?"... put 'phone on desk... grab whistle.. blow as HARD and for as LONG as you can.......Several times if need be until they hang up.

For some reason after doing this a couple of times people stop calling me! Can't think why.... oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X