GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems

Please can anyone help?

I was made BR in June. Prior to this I had a serious car accident in May and now am in a position to drive again. I also have 3 points on my licence from 2011 and a spate of claims linked to a few car park dingles and vandalism linked to my violent ex-husband. 2011, insurance wise looks very bad. 2011 was a very difficult time for me as my daughter and I had to move around a lot.

I approached Go Skippy brokers who accepted me and then said that their underwriter's had changed their mind. I then went to Bewiser who said no problem but have come back to me today (Sat) saying no because I had not declared an accident. The accident they are referring to could never have happened because I couldn't have been driving as I was not in the country at the time! No one else drives or has access to my car.

They also say that i didn't notify them my car was written off in May - the date they give is wrong and I was in hospital post accident then anyway.

GoSkippy also allege that I 'did not disclose that I previously had a policy cancelled or special terms imposed'. Again I have no knowledge of this and in fact have been insured with octagon since 2010. My insurance with them only ended this year when I had my serious accident and the claim was paid out. (I pad the funds to the OR).

I have been unable to find a record of who cancelled my policy and and both insurance companies have been unhelpful. Octagon sent a letter confirming that they had never declined or cancelled a policy.

Please help (and don't judge me)
    Thank you

Re: Car Insurance, Bankrupt, claims and big problems

Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm not sure if I can help and am sure others will be able too, however I would ask have you asked for a copy of your file, you might find information in there you need.

Comment

copy of my file? What is this? I rang and emailed the IMB (insurance bureau) and they were not helpful

Comment

Greetings georgiasmum

We do not judge here at all as there is always a bigger picture behind a few words.

I think your best and first action is to subject access request (SAR) the companies concerned to get all the info they hold on you.

It will cost you £10 for such a request but for that they must search and supply all records both clerical and computer.

They have 40 days in which to comply.

getting all this information will then put you and us if you need help in finding what has gone wrong and best course of action to put right.

This link will explain more:

http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/personal_information

Comment

Ok here's a couple of rules for you

1. Never ever phone unless you fancy a chat

2. If you phone always get a name

3. Do everything in writing and send it recorded delivery

Seriously, you never get anywhere by doing the phone thing and you always need to keep a paper trail, I would find out who your last insurance was with and write to them asking for a copy of your file.

As I say I'm no expert but surely someone will pop along with a better idea for you, but at least its a start.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiasmum View Post
            Please help (and don't judge me)
            Hello Georgiasmum and to AAD.

I guarantee no one will judge you on here because we've all been in a bit of a pickle at some point. In fact most of us still are. Things can be a little quiet at the weekend but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this for you.

Is there any reason why Octagon won't continue to provide cover for you or is the premium ridiculously expensive following your recent claim?

My car was written off in an accident in December and it took me four months to sort out the paperwork. So annoying.

Comment

I would do it via SAR why? because it is official and set by the information commissioners office and legislation and thus they must comply if they don't you have the ICO on your side and where you can complain too.

Comment

There you go, I said the Cavalry would arrive

Comment

Is there a reason why you approached Go Skippy brokers and not any other broker?

The whole point of a broker is that they should do the legwork for you since they'll be getting commission from the company which they place the business with.

There's not a lot you can do tomorrow since no brokers will be open on a Sunday. You can go online to one of the comparison websites to get instant cover (if that's what you urgently need) but you will still have to provide the documents afterwards. However you could be given 14 days grace to do this.

Comment

Also try Hastings Direct from there website as they are pretty good, I was directed there from Niddy and saved £140 on last years which aint bad for a disabled person.

Comment

Hi, welcome to AAD and has others have said don't worry about being judged on this site and ask questions no matter how silly they may seem as it is always better to understand fully what is going on.
                      you can send your SAR to the MIB because they are legally required to supply all information that has been reported to them by insurance companies.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

thank you all. I am just so sad. In 2011 I had 5 claims ( mostly vandalism) due to domestic violence that are hard to prove. I have a claim from 2010 (Feb) that I can't even remember what it was! And the 3 points from SP30 in 2011 too.

Added to that the alleged claim in 2013 as well as my serious accident in May 2014 which was a write off I must be knackered. I realise my premiums will be high...

Comment

You seem to have a run of bad luck with your cars! When did you get the 3 points? They only stay on your licence for 3 years. You need to clarify the claims that you don't recognise and find out how and why your policy was cancelled.
                          Phone around different brokers, perhaps try some smaller I dependant ones as they may have a more personal or caring touch.
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

do they? I thought that points stayed on your licence for 5 years...

Comment

I just looked at the gov website and my 3 points will stay for 4 years so Oct '15 before they come off. I went to goskippy because they were on a comparison website. have since read awful things about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X