GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Debt sold on - New DN issued? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debt sold on - New DN issued?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt sold on - New DN issued?

Hi all, ok I'm new here so please bear with me.
    I entered a dmp with stepchange in December 2013 as my debts were running away with me and have been faithfully sticking to the repayment plan ever since plus increasing my payments when I could.
    I had a letter from BarclayCard on Friday telling me my debt had been passed onto Link Financial which is fair enough. Link wrote to me saying they wanted the full amount of arrears in 6 months but also acknowledged the fact I'm on a DMP. Not a chance I can pay that as it's over £3000.

I've checked my credit score this morning and found that Link have issued a DN dated 6 days before BarclayCard closed the account.
    My question is can they do this despite me not defaulting on the payment arrangements and the fact that no dn is shown against the BarclayCard account? Really peed off as it will now take me an extra 2 years when I thought I'd be clear in 4.
    Any help is appreciated as I'm not getting much advice from stepchange. Thanks
    Last edited by kelbagishere; 25 October 2016, 12:47.

Re: Debt sold on - New DN issued?

welcome to AAD, we never judge anyone here, we've all been or are in the same boat.

firstly are you absolutely certain that Barclaycard did not issue a default when you actually defaulted?

what normally happens is that the new company (where the debt has been sold on) substitutes their name on to the original default, it's not a new one, it's a change of name.

personally I'm not a big fan of DMPs of any ilk because they will not protect you from court action regardless of whether you are paying or not.

you also need to be on Stepchange's case if there has been a wrong default issued by Link, it should be challenging these things.

last bit of advice is not to go tramping in among the your CRA records, you are just waving a flag above the parapet so that they notice you are still there, totally unnecessary in the great scheme of things, if you are on a DMP your credit record is trashed until six years after it is all paid off, sadly that is the reality of a DMP.

Have a look at the date on the default and if it's wrong you should talk to Stepchange part of their job with the DMP is to try to make sure you are treated fairly..................

Comment

Thanks MrsD I'll have to speak to Stepchange about it tonight when I get in.

Yes I'm absolutely positive Barclays didn't issue a default, that account is showing clear and up to date. I've been back 5 years and nothing.
      The date on the default from Link is 14/09/2016 which is before they'd even issued their letter.
      The reason I went with a dmp is because my head was up the wall at the time, the kids were playing up, Christmas was coming up and I had the grand total of £42 to sort Christmas out. Thinking back I'd like to get out of it but don't think I could face arranging repayments with 10 different companies

Comment

so is the barclays account not showing any default at all? is it all green?

how close to the min payment is the amount through stepchange?

Comment

It's green all the way through. I'm currently paying about 3/4 of the minimum payment now as I've been able to increase the stepchange payment. I've spoken to Link tonight and they said it wasn't them as they didn't take the account on until 2 weeks after the dn was logged. The lad I spoke to said he will get it raised at their side (after i pointed out it was logged against their company) and I need to raise it with experian so hopefully we have a good result. Quite relieved if he does what he said he will

Comment

be astounded if he does, Link are not known for their "helpful" tendencies Is this a particularly old account, could it have been defaulted before?

keep in touch and let us know

Comment

Working...
            X