GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Am i going over the top with this? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am i going over the top with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am i going over the top with this?

I'd love others opinions on this. Not sure if i woke up on the right side of the bed or not!

Last week i paid a cheque in my current account. Three days later, SMS with updated balance of cheque. Same day used online banking to pay bills etc with it.
    This morning walked in to my local branch asking to draw money out.
    The assistant complete a form, looked at my drivers license, i authenticated using my usual card and off she went to get it "authorized".
    Came back a few minutes later and the conversation went like this:

"Im afraid you can't have the money until the cheque has cleared which is tomorrow - 7 days after it was paid in."

"That doesn't make sense; i have already paid things with it online."

"That's because you have backed it yourself. A cheque needs 7 days before we can draw on it".

"So why can i go and draw money out of the wall now then".

"The cheque needs seven days to clear, sorry you will need to come back tomorrow".

20 miles away at another branch....

"Hello i would like to draw out some money from my account please."
    "Sure, no problem".

5 minutes later walking out with my money.

I was planning on writing to the Bank asking why this happened and why i was blatantly lied to and wasted time when i should have been in work. What do you guys think?
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: Am i going over the top with this?

I think i would have been peeved too!!

can i just ask what bank was it?

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
      I think i would have been peeved too!!

can i just ask what bank was it?
      I was well cheesed off! Natwest.
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Here you go - from the horses mouth!

---> http://www.natwest.com/personal/curr.../clearing.ashx

* banks work on the 2/4/6 day rule with cheque clearance....
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Some banks let you draw on uncleared cheques though mate - see this: ---> http://www.natwest.com/personal/curr...x#clear_cheque

Point is, if they allow it and then it bounced you'd be charged an unauthorised OD fee so it's not always wise to draw on uncleared funds... As the above, it does seem branch specific though. Branch 1 in your case felt no go. Branch 2 felt yes, ok.
          Thanks for the link Nid.
          So i make it at the close of business today, the cheque is safely cleared.
          Makes me wonder why the second branch didn't say the same thou!

Comment

Some banks let you draw on uncleared cheques though mate - see this: ---> http://www.natwest.com/personal/curr...x#clear_cheque

The Bank, at its discretion, may sometimes allow access to uncleared funds. This may mean that your account might appear to be in credit but the balance may include uncleared funds. If your branch allows you to draw against these funds, then you may have to pay overdraft interest and fees.
            Point is, if they allow it and then it bounced you'd be charged an unauthorised OD fee so it's not always wise to draw on uncleared funds... As the above, it does seem branch specific though. Branch 1 in your case felt no go. Branch 2 felt yes, ok.
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Point is, if they allow it and then it bounced you'd be charged an
              unauthorised OD fee so it's not always wise to draw on uncleared funds...
              I did get out of the wrong side this morning.
              Cheers for the links.

Comment

I edited my post #6 - re-read it mate

Comment

I edited my post #6 - re-read it mate
                  Yeah, you would think as a "Bank" they would abide by the same guidelines regardless of which branch you arrive in.
                  They also had nicer women in the second one so will let it go - this time.

Comment

i think if it had been a cashier who knew you well or asked the manager who knew u well they prob would have gave u the cash, knowing you are good for it.

But sometimes they take the jobs worth route and aint so nice.

I find my local HSBC never have any issues, have even drawn 2k out the account before without any ID, just needed the nod from the bank manager, so depends who u get really.

Comment

Natwest have changed some off the clearing practices , they used to clear over night a chq drawn and paid on the same branch. Now it goes into normal clearing.

When I complained I was told it was for my benefit so I wouldn't get confused , I told them bollocks and they did pay me £300 of the inconvenience when they didn't clear a chq.

Comment

lol its for your benifit, no my benifit would be if you cleared cheques quicker.

Banks make me laugh, i do not see in this day and age any reason to take so long to clear a cheque, if they were moving physical money around, i may be slightly less harsh on them. But we all know its just numbers on a screen.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                          lol its for your benifit, no my benifit would be if you cleared cheques quicker.

Banks make me laugh, i do not see in this day and age any reason to take so long to clear a cheque, if they were moving physical money around, i may be slightly less harsh on them. But we all know its just numbers on a screen.
                          I to wouldn't mind to much if they did something with most chq, with Natwest and HSBC the cheques arn't even checked for signiture etc unless the value is over £10k

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                            I to wouldn't mind to much if they did something with most chq, with Natwest and HSBC the cheques arn't even checked for signiture etc unless the value is over £10k
                            You can transfer money in 2 hours now sometimes takes 2 minutes yet they still say 3 clear working days for cheques

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                              i think if it had been a cashier who knew you well or asked the manager who knew u well they prob would have gave u the cash, knowing you are good for it.
                              Yeah, i guess its down to a personal guarantee, but as pointed out elsewhere - 7 working days to clear a cheque. Makes me wonder why some of these bank processes are so long drawn out. Do you think its because of the volume they are working with?
                              A few years ago I went to Europe. One week after returning, the Visa company called me saying they just wanted to check some of the transactions before authorizing them!

Comment

Working...
                              X