GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Hello from Vaper. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from Vaper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Vaper.

Hi folks.
    Thought it was time I introduced myself.
    I've been browsing your forum for a few weeks now and catching up on the UE threads (very good reading).

Myself and hubby have found ourselves in considerable debt (was £56,000 in April) due to credit cards, we have until around April never missed any payments on them even though we were having to find over £1,500 every month just for the minimum payments, but things caught up with us and we got to the point that there just wasn't enough money to cover the credit card bills.
    We have been depending on credit for a few years now and constantly thinking, hoping, that we could find a way out of this mess but unfortunately miracles are in short supply at the moment.

I joined another well known forum for financial advice and decided that the only way forward was a DMP with stepchange and at first it seemed the right thing to do, I had filled out their debt remedy forms changed bank account, stopped direct debits and written to our creditors explaining that we were about to go on a DMP with stepchange, and was (I thought ) ready to go. But, the more I read up on topics from other posters, the more I started to doubt if the DMP was really going to be any benefit to us. I then decided to manage my own DMP. Again, Reading other people's stories, there was still a nagging doubt. No guarantees of interest being stopped, letters and phone calls from DCA's etc. Also we would have been just about managing for around the next 7 years, probably a lot more with the interest and charges that they seem to have pleasure in slapping on us every month

I had a PM from another member telling me to come on here, I've been hooked since!

I doubt we have got many, if any, debts which will be unenforceable as they seem to mostly be post 2007, originally I thought they were older but hubby said that over the years we have used the other cards to balance transfer on to newer ones.
    We have not made any payments to any of our creditors since April, we have had a lot of letters and phone calls since then, all of which I have ignored.
    The letters seem to have stopped over the last fortnight which has worried me a little but no doubt I will come home to another mountain of post any day now.

These last three months have been strange, we have had money to buy essential things which we were desperate for but unable to afford due to everything going towards out debts.

I have started to put money away now as I am aware that there will soon come a point where we have to start responding to and paying back the debts, all I need is some breathing space to try and get some cash together to be able to do this.

Im not at all worried about our credit records now as they are completely trashed anyway, I was worried about CCJ's or having the house repossessed at first but have gone beyond that now, also reading this forum I gather there will be a little way to go before anything like that can happen.

I did used to say that I am not going to run away from our debts - we borrowed, we will pay it all back. Actually I think they have had that and a lot more besides, so am beginning to change my mind a little bit (a lot).

I realise it is going to be a long uphill struggle, but in the end up this was the only option left for us, apart from rolling over and letting the banks completely screw us over.

I hope I can pop in and pick your brains when things start to get scary. As I said I have been reading the UE diaries and they are so inspiring, I have also spent the last two days in the other place reading Mouseannes diary and was really touched by all the support that was there for her.

I will post more, but think that's enough for an intro. Sorry if it all seems garbled and confused but basically that's what I am.
    I look forward to reading a lot more over the following weeks/months

Welcome!

A good place to start is with a diary, listing the debts and creditors then you can get advice on each debt. Unenforceability happens because of several reasons, not always just the CCA.

They're a good bunch on here and will help you even if you receive a court order (long time away). Over the next few months, the debts should default and interest and charges will stop.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Vaper and welcome.

Even if your post 2007 debts turn out to be enforceable, you are taking the steps to take back control of your finances and with the help from the knowledgeable people here you will be able to deal with your creditors.

When you are ready, start itemising your debts as you will have seen on other diaries.

Comment

Originally posted by vaper View Post
        I was worried about CCJ's or having the house repossessed at first but have gone beyond that now, also reading this forum I gather there will be a little way to go before anything like that can happen.
        You're a long way off getting your house repossessed!

Is there a mortgage on it and are you managing to keep up with the repayments?

I'm glad things have gone quiet after the surge of activity when you stopped paying in April. Hopefully that means some of your creditors are scratching their heads thinking of what to do next now that you've turned the tables on them.

Most, if not all, will sell the debt on eventually so you'll be dealing with a new cast of characters and they're all familiar to this forum's members so you'll get guidance on how to manage each one - they behave in different ways so need handling accordingly.

Maybe some have been assigned already?

Good luck and I look forward to helping you on your journey.

Di

Comment

welcome vaper
          many moons ago Hubby and I were in the same place you are now.
          I decided enough was enough and that the Banks had had enough of our money and I wanted to have some for ourselves.
          It was because of one DCA who phoned at 8 am one morning demanding that I give them financial details there and then over the phone, I told them no, I had put it in writing and posted it to them,
          this certain woman then went *monkey poo* at me over the phone, shouting that she would make sure my children would be put out onto the streets, they would take every penny I owned, then she got rather personal in her comments. when she stopped ranting ,I just said " and your point is" she slamed the phone down on me.
          I phoned back and got some other woman, I asked if the voice in the background was the woman that had just phoned me ( as she was still ranting about me) I was asked to hold, when they came back to the phone all was quiet, I calmly said I would be putting in a formal complaint as I used to work in a dept management agency and knew all the calls were recorded for compliance, I had taken a note of the time of the call, also I did not expect any more calls from them in the future.
          I had a letter 2 days later saying they would gladly accept my £5 a month till the year 2025,
          I then joined AAD and they have had nothing for the last 5 years,

so just one site can change a lifetime of debt,
          along with Di I look forwad to helping you NW
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi

Great you have come to us you couldn't be in better hands. If you could start your diary listing g each separately so our team knows where and the best way forward with each one.Wevhave all been in a similar situation and know how you feel. So good luck in taking back control .xxxxxx
            Last edited by nanna58; 21 August 2017, 07:11. Reason: Spelling
            if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Welcome like you holding out my debts just started not paying since begging of August get that diary going

Comment

Hi folks,
                Thanks for the welcomes
                I've had trouble accessing the site for a few days but it looks like things are working again now.
                I will post a diary as soon as possible, am struggling at the minute with nosey kids looking over my shoulder at everything I do
                Nightwatch - that's terrible what the DCA did to you! I've been dreading the kids answering my phone but think I have managed to block most of the numbers up to now, I have had literally dozens of calls.

Diana - yes there is a mortgage on the house, we are up to date, never missed a payment to them and only 33 payments left
                Mint did say they were going to pass our debt on to Moorcroft but we have received the usual late payment and default fee letters this week and no more mention of them so will have to wait and see what happens next.
                we have had official default notices from the Co-op but nothing since.
                I will get around to starting a diary and put all the relevant info in there.
                Thanks everyone X
                Last edited by vaper; 30 August 2017, 15:31.

Comment

The site keeps going down which we then cannot enter hopefully resolved soon

Comment

Welcome, I was in real stress until I joined. These guys are great, I now don't give two hoots when I get threats because I'm with AAD. I sent an LBA recently and everything has gone quiet, I've learnt from these wonderful people that that is good. Welcome again,

Comment

Working...
                    X