GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008) - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

PRIORITYONE & CPUTR 2008 (username aded for search purposes)

CPUTR = Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (2008)

I promised Niddy that I would start a CPUTR thread to explain why I like using it so much..... so here it is.

The thread has been started to look at CPUTR as an effective pre-court tool; a means of either..... getting to the truth about actual documents held by a bank/DCA/solicitor or, getting the gist of what a company holds based upon the ludicrous babble you get in response (which is recognised with practice ).

Since CPUTR has been in force (so to speak), I have sent my "CPUTR letter" out to a myriad of these companies in response to reconstructed, microfiche (copy of a copy) and/or application forms; requesting written confirmation as to whether that company currently holds a properly executed Consumer Credit Agreement under CPUTR 2008. In all cases, these battles began with a standard CCA request which they all responded to but with sub-standard and unenforceable paperwork.

To date, there have been a number of standard responses, including:
    • one DCA being ever-so obliging; confirming that they were in fact unable to get hold of such documentation and that the account had been returned to their client.
    • no response at all from a DCA until a letter arrived from a new lot.
    • attempts to fluff around the issue by banging on about s78 requests, Carey, Waksman, moral obligations and so on.

Eventually however, all companies have backed off in some form or another, including two sets of solicitors (Green & co. and Bryan Carter); suggesting that CPUTR is a powerful pre-court tool to use. Green & co. wrote back to say that they were no longer pursuing the account. Bryan Carter attempted to fluff around the issue but were directed right back to it via the formal complaint procedure. After that, they failed to respond any more and returned the account to their client instead, who then farmed it out again to someone else.

In essence, CPUTR acts as a deterrent to companies who might be tempted to mislead consumers into believing that they have enforceable documents that they do not actually have..... and in doing so, misleading those consumers into making transactional decisions based upon..... well... fiction really! It's worth noting that CPUTR is also statute law....

For creditors that still bang on about Carey et al, please remember that Carey was the Claimant and as such the burden of proof was on Carey et al to prove their case(s) with a copy of the Agreement themselves. Most consumers however are not going to court themselves as Claimants (at least I hope not), so the burden of proof is not theirs. Judge Waksman also said that the original would be needed for enforcement action anyway.... or words to that effect.... (paras. 108 & 234, if memory serves me right). Of course, banks/DCAs will not want to explain any of this to you and hope you won't know the difference between Claimants and Defendants...... as well as not talking about a microfiche being no more than a copy of a copy and that they've been near-sighted assh&les for destroying the only proof they (might have) had; the ever-precious original Agreement.

So basically, companies cannot lie under CPUTR 2008..... well they can..... but if they do, they risk playing a dangerous game with statute law. We cannot take legal action ourselves under CPUTR but the OFT can, which seems to be enough of a deterrent to stop them telling porky pies in writing.

Ok..... discuss!
    Last edited by PriorityOne; 20 May 2012, 15:20.
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Re: CPUTR 2008.....

Nice thread - thanks. I'll pop back later and read properly.....
    Last edited by AAD-LinkEditor; 2 January 2012, 14:18. Reason: tester
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I had one particularly aggressive dca who basically ignored everything sent to them and continually came back with the usual twoddle, barrage of letters and phone calls.

After looking at P1's thread on CAG, I thought I'd give it a try.
      All I know, is it stopped them in their tracks immediately and I've not heard since.

I used this with Barclays as well. They did respond, but gave a politicians answer. Answering without answering and then rambling on about Carey. Not heard from them any more either, so to date it does appear a powerful tool........
      -----------------------------------------------

Happiness, is screwing over a DCA.......

Comment

Anyone who's read the entire thread(s) OTR will have seen this develop into a huge beast. This is by far the clearest way I've seen it explained though.

I'm a big fan of using CPUTR and have seen off a few DCA's with it.

When put into context as it is above, it is quite clear why it works. It is, in my opinion, a massively underused piece of legislation, but I also think that the fact there is not vast amounts of case law involving CPUTR helps us, as creditors are more cautious as they're not quite sure what consequences may or may not face them if they ignore you.

Comment

A quick question on this, as I'm not entirely sure the "correct" time, or stage of correspondence to use this.

Example.

I've cca'd crapquest (acting on behalf of C1)which has been duly ignored. They wrote saying I had to phone C1 to get the info (yeh right!!)
          Sent the usual letter - it's your obligation to pass on the request etc = ignored.

Just sent another letter strongly telling them it's their duty to pass it on and they are in default, stop playing silly buggers as you are getting on my tits now and rubbing the Chip up the wrong way!

So,
          If they ignore this (likely), do I;

a. CCA C1 direct (even though I shouldn't have to)
          b. CPUTR knobquest

....?

Comment

Originally posted by thechippy View Post
            So,

b. CPUTR knobquest

....?
            Personally if I sent anything it would be along the lines of sod off until you sort out the CCA, you are now in default of my request!
            When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

They've had that Suse and still ignore and continue the calls and postal drivel...

Comment

Originally posted by thechippy View Post
                A quick question on this, as I'm not entirely sure the "correct" time, or stage of correspondence to use this.

Example.

I've cca'd crapquest (acting on behalf of C1)which has been duly ignored. They wrote saying I had to phone C1 to get the info (yeh right!!)
                Sent the usual letter - it's your obligation to pass on the request etc = ignored.

Just sent another letter strongly telling them it's their duty to pass it on and they are in default, stop playing silly buggers as you are getting on my tits now and rubbing the Chip up the wrong way!

So,

b. CPUTR knobquest

....?
                This is a ploy that I first came across years ago with A&L's muppets and more recently with Freds. International..... and although it shouldn't be necessary to CCA anyone else after you've already sent one, it's more important to cover your back at all times (IMO) if you want to keep things pre-court.

With that in mind, I CCA'd everyone in sight where A&L were concerned and also with Freds. That way, there was nowhere left for them to pass the buck to.

CPUTR only kicked in if/when I was sent docs. that (IMO again) were unenforceable.

Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Nice one P1.

I'll cca C1 next week direct.
                  I used the cputr on Crapbot where no documents were forthcoming at all and it shut them up........

Comment

Totally agree - keep some aces up your sleeve. There'll be used to CCA requests etc... but not this. However - it is a means to keep you out of a courtroom, not just 'another template letter' (no offence to this site whose templates are somewhat different).

Comment

Thanks P1. This is an interesting subject and like you, as you know, I have felt this to be a very useful tool in the armoury. Several bits of reading lead to thinking that much of the regulatory material is linked quite closely with the Enterprise Act and whilst there are no specific sanctions as such, the Enterprise Act does refer in a number of places to the word "indictment" which at the very least suggests or implies a criminal offence.

Hence when the drivel starts as explained by P1 I then start to look at CPUTR as another item in the trail of evidence. The CPUTR usage is not as many claim a demand/request like s78 for copy documentation, its a request for a declaration of what they actually hold. If a creditor/DCA answers you and says yes they do have such compliant documentation, then you have the option to say that therefore there can be no objection to fulfilling the s78 request properly. They have the docs and must have examined them to send such a response to CPUTR. Logical yes?

However if they say no they don't have fully compliant original documentation and later issue proceedings on the basis of same then they to all intents an purpose have committed a criminal offence. And to boot have fully admitted such offence. I have not yet seen evidence of this being used in a court as everything I have read shows the creditor/DCA backing down away from the declaration being asked for under these regulations.

regards
                      Garlok
                      Last edited by garlok; 31 December 2011, 11:07.

Comment

Nice one P1

Comment

interesting thread and thanks for making it so clear.
                          so the way I see it is if they continually don't accept that what they've sent/or not sent is shyte then to stave off potential court cases this is a really good tool. A lot of ours have backed off, a lot have altready admitted that they don't have any paperwork, two who I know don't have paperwork insist they do and keep passing it around to new DCAs, one on its 5th DCA and one on its 6th DCA, so I can see good use of this there if they persist. its another big gun in the armoury, but I believe should be used sparingly, ie we shouldn't all be sending these off willynilly, we really don't want them formulating a stock reply to nullify this powerful tool.

Comment

I agree this device should only be used as a last resort when it will be most effective. It helps to have acculmalated a pile of wishy-washy letters from the creditor or DCA first so any DJ will see a history of avoiding the issue

I'll only use this tactic on a DCA because they usually don't have in-house legals like the banks do so won't have any idea how significant CPUTR can be, or how much damage it can do them if they mess it up

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                              If a creditor/DCA answers you and says yes they do have such compliant documentation, then you have the option to say that therefore there can be no objection to fulfilling the s78 request properly. They have the docs and must have examined them to send such a response to CPUTR. Logical yes?

However if they say no they don't have fully compliant original documentation and later issue proceedings on the basis of same then they to all intents an purpose have committed a criminal offence. And to boot have fully admitted such offence. I have not yet seen evidence of this being used in a court as everything I have read shows the creditor/DCA backing down away from the declaration being asked for under these regulations.

regards
                              Garlok
                              They have all backed down to date, yes; some quicker than others but those that haven't and keep passing an account around do their level best to dance around the issue before dropping/passing it. I've only ever had one direct "no, we haven't" response and that was from Moorcroft.

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
                              interesting thread and thanks for making it so clear.
                              so the way I see it is if they continually don't accept that what they've sent/or not sent is shyte then to stave off potential court cases this is a really good tool. A lot of ours have backed off, a lot have altready admitted that they don't have any paperwork, two who I know don't have paperwork insist they do and keep passing it around to new DCAs, one on its 5th DCA and one on its 6th DCA, so I can see good use of this there if they persist. its another big gun in the armoury, but I believe should be used sparingly, ie we shouldn't all be sending these off willynilly, we really don't want them formulating a stock reply to nullify this powerful tool.
                              This is when CPUTR kicks in.... because this could amount to a misleading statement and you have a right to know if it is or if it isn't before making a transactional decision, which is what this is all about.

As it's statute law, I'm not sure what this could be nullified with, to be honest.... although I get your point and have thought about this as well. The only tactic used at present is to try and dance around the issue by banging on about s78 requests and Carey..... but that's easily squashed, so no worries.... Bryan Carter gave me the biggest dance at the time but complaints to both OFT and SRA (mentioning CPUTR among other things... ) saw him off. Obviously, I wasn't made aware of any action they took (if any) but was given a case ref. no. by the SRA, so like to think he had a little spanking.

Last edited by PriorityOne; 31 December 2011, 12:03.
                              Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
                              X