GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MBNA charges - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MBNA charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MBNA charges

Be very interested on how you get along with this one.

Just got a payout of PPI from them so any overlimits that actually werent overlimits should have already been refunded.

Going to have a look at our SAR when I have some time to.

Good luck on your claim.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
      Right I got my first post mixed up
      I have had 2 MBNA cards, one is ongoing A&L that they have failed to provide documents for before 2004.
      The second was settled in 2004. I have received a SAR with all the statements from the second, settled account which showed charges. I followed up with this letter:

I am writing to request that you repay all the late payment fees and/or over limit fees that have been applied to my account as I do not believe the charges reflect the true cost to MBNA and are unfair and disproportionate. I am therefore requesting a refund based on the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. I am aware that this account has been closed; however the regulations state that claims can be made up to six years after one becomes aware of the charges. I received details of the data held on me in a letter dated xx August 2012.

This is supported by the Office of Fair Trading’s April 2006 statement into credit card charges, which noted that the level of charges at the time, and prior to that period, were unfair

The charges total £xxx.00, plus as I believe I have been unlawfully deprived of the money I have calculated £xxx.xx interest at the statutory rate (8%), the amount the court would award in such a case.

I therefore ask that you repay me the full amount of £xxx.xx. I have attached a full schedule of the charges and interest with this letter and look forward to a full response within 14 days.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response within this time frame then I intend to pursue my complaint with the Financial Ombudsman Service or small claims court at the earliest opportunity.

They have replied that statute of limitations says 6 years so tough!

Looking for my next action.....

Hi Cymru

I have not gone down the path of reclaiming charges from MBNA (keeping that one up my sleeve for now) - have done a number of others though and all have gone back 6 years only , even though I have the proof (copies of statements ) going back much further......saying that most of the charges have been applied in the last 6 years when I have been in s***creek.

That aside - why not try em for contract rate interest instead of 8% simple? Its worth a go and has worked with all except Amex and the FOS agreed with Amex at that.....jokers

Good luck

Matty

Comment

Hi I have used the MSE calculator; this is the limit of my ability!
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

try and get you other spreadsheets etc for here.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Try this one if you have excel:-
            Attached Files

Comment

or this one for Open Office.:-
              Attached Files

Comment

Waiting for my complaint about charges to be dealt with by either MBNA or FOS.

Second account was A&L. Statements from 2004, account opened in 1990s. MBNA have now replied that as account was originally with A&L that I must send another SAR to A&L.
                Is this correct?

Comment

Bump

Comment

Waiting for my complaint about charges to be dealt with by either MBNA or FOS.

Second account was A&L. Statements from 2004, account opened in 1990s. MBNA have now replied that as account was originally with A&L that I must send another SAR to A&L.
                    Is this correct?
                    Hi hun

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Funny you said that, because others in the same position with the same banks etc have been told the same.
                    I used to think if they taken over the business, they will therefore take on the liabilities too, so everything is moved over to them.

I think they should have forwarded your SAR on to the other business myself, because I don't think you should be paying out again on another SAR.

It's up to you, if you want to do this, maybe you could write and enclose the letter you received (copy) that confirms this, and tell them the fee of £10 has already been paid.
                    If you do send a further payment it's up to you, but they should return it as you know if they no longer hold anything.

Or; wait for other opinions if you want to x

Comment

FOS have replied . As the charges are over 6 years old they will not deal. I would have received notification of the charges when they were applied and I should have complained then!

Just to be difficult I may reply that the charges were applied before the FOS ruling and that I have only just become aware that they were in excess of FOS ruling. Has anyone tried and succeeded with this or am I just wasting my time?

Comment

Cym

I always think its worth ago if you feel up to it.

That said I do think the banks have really hardened their attitude these past few months.

I have got diddly squat out of any of them for charges.

FOS have just rejected my Halifax claim this week.

As all articles now seem to point to one last place and thats court.

That said if you do look around other forums you will now see some consumers trying this route on the say so of internet warriors with axes to grind.

But have seen one or two now going from a small legitimate claim for a few quid in charges to fighting full blown court case with a creditor who has decided to get a CCJ on any outstanding balance.

I think only yourself can know if you want to risk that.

Comment

FOS have replied . As the charges are over 6 years old they will not deal. I would have received notification of the charges when they were applied and I should have complained then!

Just to be difficult I may reply that the charges were applied before the FOS ruling and that I have only just become aware that they were in excess of FOS ruling. Has anyone tried and succeeded with this or am I just wasting my time?

I say anything is worth a try, and how was you supposed to have known about it then anyway. x

Comment

Adjudicator has replied back. Still no go!

Comment

Sorry to hear that but exactly the same as what they said about my helifex account.

Think this is why the banks are becoming bold in the courts and certain websites are advising consumers very badly indeed.

Comment

I have until January if I want to go further.........

Emails cost nothing and they can't see my face........

Comment

Working...
                                X