GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Unsecured debt & moving. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unsecured debt & moving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsecured debt & moving.

Hi everyone, it's been a while!

I have a large amount of unsecured debt, not worried about the smaller ones, but a couple of Barclaycards pre 2007, also a couple of biggies with two banks and I can no longer service these debts, as I need to give up work on health grounds, so there is no way that I will be able to offer repayment.

I will also be relocating to an EU country quite soon and will have no assets left in the UK, however, I have searched online and it would appear that they can chase me to the new country and they can have any CCJ's upheld.

So my question is, what to do?

Re: Unsecured debt & moving.

if you don't own property in the UK, what exactly do you expect them to do? they can get all the CCJs they like but it's just a bit of paper if you ain't here.

Comment

Hi MrsD, looking on the web, it would appear that they can have them enforced outside of the U.K., hence my concern.

Comment

how much are we talking here? you have to work out if it's going to be a viable option and you are presuming it would get that far, which we would work hard to try to avoid. Quite a few members have left the UK already........................

Comment

Originally posted by Dibsfbd View Post
          I have a large amount of unsecured debt, not worried about the smaller ones, but a couple of Barclaycards pre 2007, also a couple of biggies with two banks and I can no longer service these debts, as I need to give up work on health grounds, so there is no way that I will be able to offer repayment.

I will also be relocating to an EU country quite soon and will have no assets left in the UK, however, I have searched online and it would appear that they can chase me to the new country and they can have any CCJ's upheld.
          Why not send a CCA Request to all of them before you go abroad so you'll know whether they are unenforceable or not. There's always hope some of them will be UE so the creditor may not continue to chase those ones anyway.

Are any of them close to becoming Statute Barred?

Plan B x

Comment

It's pretty expensive for them to pursue a debtor abroad, especially if they don't know where they are. The world is a huge place when you're searching a solitary debtor. Why spend £20k pursuing a £20k judgment whereby the debtor has no assets. It won't happen.

There's a host of members on AAD who have done just that. Moved. The lender could go get a ccj all they want, how do you suppose they propose enforcement when the debtor is not at the last known address? A simple letter to the last known DCA on file, for each debt saying (very briefly) that you've got no assets; got no income & are moving abroad to live with family, so to remove all address details as you will not be receiving any mail from the UK - a day before you go - will cause them problems if they did later issue a claim.

I'd not be overly concerned. Sending a closed letter literally saying you're moving abroad as above covers you to an extent and would give us good grounds to assist a set-aside; if it ever got that far (unlikely)....
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for all the advice, it's very much appreciated.

Niddy, thank you for your help, superb as usual. However, I guess that it will be relatively easy to find me, as I will need to use my current safe bank account.

Comment

However, I guess that it will be relatively easy to find me, as I will need to use my current safe bank account.
                why & how so? You don't ......
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I will require residency confirmation along with tax and utility bills to open a new bank account.

The current bank account which I will need to use for several months will require an address, which I assume will be updated onto my credit file.

Comment

I will require residency confirmation along with tax and utility bills to open a new bank account.

The current bank account which I will need to use for several months will require an address, which I assume will be updated onto my credit file.
                    While you still have your bank account in the UK set up redirection from UK to your new address abroed, make sure you tick "NO" where Royal Mail say can they share your details. Then if it is possible you make sure that the statements are paperless so there is no real need to send anything more than updated terms and conditions. When you have your residency confirmation (depending on the country its immediate within the EU), register for tax which again is either immeriate or within a few days, and contact the utilities company for yout new house asking them to confirm that the account is opened for you. Should be sorted out in a week or so, and then you can open a bank account. Redirection will catch any immediate nasties, and they will be stuffed Can you say what country you are looking at moving to? there may be someone on here who has already gone there and may have some tips for getting things moving faster
                    When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

Thank you for your reply Susie.

I am concerned that the bank will go for a CCJ, then an EEO.

I would prefer to repay my debts and go with a clear mind, but that is not going to be an option.
                      Last edited by daisy; 7 November 2016, 19:21.

Comment

Has anyone used a mail forwarding service which they could recommend please?

Comment

I think most people have used Royal Mail.
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Pixie, thank you for your reply.

I don't have a forwarding address for Royal Mail to initially redirect the post to, so I need a company that will hold mail for a short while.

Comment

It's worth asking Royal Mail if they can hold it and how much.x
                              if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X