GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script NHS prescription fine advise please - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHS prescription fine advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHS prescription fine advise please

Last year my son and his wife claimed working tax and child tax credits and got the NHS card for free prescriptions dental and eye test - in September my daughter in law qualified as a teacher and started work in October. My son suffers depression and finds it hard to find work as he had an accident at a previous job and needed an artificial radial head in is arm - this prevents him from getting certain jobs as he can only lift a limited amount of weight , so he was and still is out of work and In November he went to Tesco chemist for a prescription and forgot his NHS card - my son is also dyslexic and cannot understand forms at all and he said to the chemist I forgot my card she said that's fine sign for the prescription and if its wrong they will let you know within a few weeks - anyway he got the medication all was well no letters so he thought it was fine. So yesterday he got a letter and a fine from the NHS prescriptions whatever they call themselves- he sent them an appeal explaining whathappened and they basically said ' you signed the form and should have paid for the prescription then claimed it back later '

He didn't realise that they were no longer entitled to free NHS care from November until he looked on the card yesterday - but he thought they were because of the child tax credits he was not trying steal anything from the NHS he said he would willingly have paid for the prescritpion .

They do not care one hoot - now he's on about taking his own life because he feels he was mislead and falsely told by the chemist - they are struggling to pay everything right now as he can't work so we are going to pay this fine even though he doesn't want us to - but I can't let this get any worse . Is there a way to fight this as it seems wrong they can just keep fining people for genuine mistakes and if he doesn't pay they add another surcharge and and on it goes .

Have the NHS ever taken people to court for non payment I just want to know as I cannot find anything on google at all but they do threaten court action .
    Last edited by Spent2much; 21 March 2018, 18:03.

Unfortunately, your son has signed the for saying he is entitled to free prescriptions at a time he was not. The pharmacist takes no responsibility for the signature, and some will charge (they should) if you do not present the proof on entitlement.

The NHS is getting strict and there is a current campaign to crack down on the 'fraudulent' claims for free prescriptions on medical staff, pharmacy staff and patients because of the high amount of fraud. Some people colluding with their GPs obtain medication by having it prescribed to a person with exemption.

You could try and appeal again explaining that he did not realise t had expired, but the cards do say they should be presented to the pharmacy. If he is likely to need more prescriptions he should invest in a pre-payment card.

Comment

Unfortunately, your son has signed the form saying he is entitled to free prescriptions at a time he was not. The pharmacist takes no responsibility for the signature, and some will charge (they should) if you do not present the proof on entitlement.

The NHS is getting strict and there is a current campaign to crack down on the 'fraudulent' claims for free prescriptions on medical staff, pharmacy staff and patients because of the high amount of fraud. Some people colluding with their GPs obtain medication by having it prescribed to a person with exemption.

You could try and appeal again explaining that he did not realise t had expired, but the cards do say they should be presented to the pharmacy. If he is likely to need more prescriptions he should invest in a pre-payment card.

Comment

I've paid it and told him to forget about it - its a disgrace in my opinion when millionaires in Scotland Ireland and Wales can get free prescriptions but my son is fined for not understanding it . Shame on the NHS .

Comment

Working...
        X