GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-( - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-(

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and hoping for some advice on what to do with the credit card mess I've ended up in :-(

My story is a little different and as such as I have not been able to find any other posts with someone in a similar position.

Basically, in May last year I went through a messy break up with my ex fiancé, lost my job and lost the plot a bit.
    I needed to get out of England to clear my head so I decided to travel. I had enough money for travel and hostel costs and have been working away, passing from one job to the next.

I love my life out here and have since landed a job in Vietnam making good money by Vietnamese terms.

I have no plans to return to the UK but at the same time I don't want to just ignore my debts just in case I do have to return some day.

The problem I have is that I just don't earn enough money out here to repay them at the rates they are now at. My monthly income equates to around £500, of which £100 is for rent,
    another £100 or so on food and general living expenses etc. So after everything has been paid I have around £300 left,
    which doesn't sound like much but to me it is worth every penny for the simple life I am now living.

My credit history is excellent and I have never missed a payment, it is only last month that I realised the scale of what I owe.

To keep a long story short, these are my half of the credit card debts me and my ex fiancé built up over 10 years (if only I could turn back the clock).

Credit card balances and credit limit in brackets:

Halifax - £8,250 @ 17.9% APR (limit £8,750)

MBNA - £4,700 @ 19.2% APR (limit £4,800)

Virgin - £4,100 @ 0% APR until August 2013 (limit £4,100)

Tesco - £795 @ 16.9% APR (limit £2,650)

Creation - £0.00 (limit £5,000)

A grand total of £17,845.

I know some of you might say I should go back to England and face the music but I really could not go down that route just yet. I am not a skilled worker and I lack a university degree.
    In fact my education is very limited and therefore I feel with how things are at the moment I would struggle to find any work at all.

I thought about bankruptcy but it is daunting and I really would like to consider all my options first before I make any final decisions on what I am going to do.
    Plus I would have to make a trip home to file for it and the cost of a plane ticket is too much.

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I have absolutely no assets in the UK, other than a small TV at my parents house.
    The thing that is worrying me most is that before I left England I changed all my addresses to my parents house. I would not want anything I did to result in a problem for them.
    I should also point out that me and my new partner have just had a little baby boy who is now 2 months old.

I would really appreciate any advice, criticism, abuse or whatever people want to throw at me. I am all ears and keen to put right this mess.

Thank you for your time :-)

Re: What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-(

Hi

We don't do abuse or criticism here. You're quite safe. In fact the level of debt is pretty small. You're out of the UK. You're not planning on coming back anytime soon. It's not illegal to get in debt. You have no assets.

Just stop paying and stay in Vietnam and forget about the uk debts. Nothing can or will happen whilst you're over there.

If you tell parents to return any mail to sender as unknown at that address they'll not get any hassle.

That is what I would do. In 6 years your credit file should be back to normal. It's not a big debt really so don't worry.

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

You've got a new partner and a new baby in a new country. Enjoy your new life and don't worry about any of those old debts. Draw a line under your past with your ex-fiance and forget about debts which were hers too because she's probably done the same. Let her sort them if necessary
      Last edited by PlanB; 18 August 2012, 08:16.

Comment

Hi Matt,
        Welcome aboard. I'm new to the forum and so glad I've found it!
        Pleased to hear you are happy in your new life. I'm sure Diddy's advice will help you relax - I've certainly started sleeping better knowing that I'm not alone and there is first class advice on this great forum.
        Hope you keep us updated.
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi, I would do what niddy says and just get on with your life, the debts are small compared some , but even then you have no assets so nothing can happen and your credit rating will be back to normal in six years. If it were me i would just ignore them and enjoy my new life and new baby. Congrats on the new baby boy by the way

Comment

We have all made mistakes mate, enjoy your life and as everyone says here in 6 years time it will have all gone away and if you do come back before then unless you want more credit it's still not really that much of a problem!!!

Comment

By the way, next time I fly over you, I will give a wave & Thumbs Up! usually just south of Dan nang
              Last edited by The Tech Clerk; 16 August 2012, 08:54.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I'd do exactly what Niddy suggests and enjoy your new life.
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

I'd echo everything said. Enjoy your new life.

When you say the debts are yours and your ex partners, whose name are the cards in?

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

We don't do abuse or criticism here.

Unless you happen to mention that Glasgow Rangers are crap and have no money and are in the shittiest part of the Scottish football league, hahahahaha, wait til nids reads this, then we will see about abuse

Niddy is a rangers fan btw

But seriously, theres nothing i can add to this, its all been said already.

Take it easy

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay getting back online but I would just like to say a massive THANK YOU to all of you who have replied with kind messages of support and encouragement. Especially to Flowerpower who directed me towards this site

I'd echo everything said. Enjoy your new life.

When you say the debts are yours and your ex partners, whose name are the cards in?
                      To Vint1954; these debts are all in my name, my ex partner had her own share of cards and problems.

To Paul, no problem I'll keep it to myself that I agree Glasgow Rangers are crap and have no money and are in the shittiest part of the Scottish football league

Lol only kidding :-)

Comment

Hey Matt,

Good thing perhaps your debtors and ex partners were separate - you could bank on hassle from the latter
                        All jokes aside, i knew someone who had a similar story to you. Moved away and never looked back, no regrets.
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Posts deleted.

Let's stay in track guys. This is someone's thread. Leave it be unless related.

Thanks

* I'll wipe this post later once you've read it
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

This forum is great, so much support from such knowledgeable people

To Flowerpower, going back to what you said about the redirecting of mail, do you think it would be better to have the letters go to my parents place so they can write on the envelope and return it to sender?

It's just I'm not sure where I could redirect the mail to

if you gave your creditors their address as opposed to just setting up redirection through Royal Mail, then they will write to you at their address which makes it very likely they will find out about your debts, if they don't know already.
                            Thanks again everyone who has posted with kind words of support :-)

Comment

Originally posted by mattk1 View Post
                              This forum is great, so much support from such knowledgeable people

To Flowerpower, going back to what you said about the redirecting of mail, do you think it would be better to have the letters go to my parents place so they can write on the envelope and return it to sender?

It's just I'm not sure where I could redirect the mail to

Thanks again everyone who has posted with kind words of support :-)

If you go that route, get a stamp made up Return To Sender easier for them?

Comment

Working...
                              X