GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Desperate to help them ***DEBT WRITTEN OFF*** - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desperate to help them ***DEBT WRITTEN OFF***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate to help them ***DEBT WRITTEN OFF***

My daughter opened a student account in 2002 and was given an o/d of £250 when she went to uni things didn't work out and she left by which time the agreed o/d limit was £1000, she contacted the bank went in for an interview explained she had left and that she would seek work they said best way forward was to change account to a graduate account and increase limit to £1250 even though she never graduated.
    She began her training as a nurse but decided to take a gap to start a family with the intention of returning to work. Because she was still technically a student the bank made no demands for her to repay the o/d but over time she paid the odd amount here and there when she could afford it.
    She returned to work as a carer for adults with severe learning and behavioural problems they pay was poor but she loved the work, meanwhile hubby was working in a very poorly paid job and money was very tight so nothing was paid off the o/d, there was little or no contact from the bank to pay this so things were just left.

In May last year they had another baby and in Jan hubby lost his job this coincided with the bank changing the account to a current account by which time the balance was £1000 and they began to add interest and then charges because the interest took them over the £1000 agreed limit, balance now £1250 and rising. The bank are phoning constantly (sent the harrasment template last week)

At the beginning of March our lovely grandson now 11months old was diagnosed with a serious brain condition, severe development delays and many more problems he now requires 24 hour care and will do for the rest of his life. As a result my daughter cannot return to work although hubby continues to look for work, they are in reciept of benefits and have no savings the family support worker has checked all benefit entitlements and we are in the process of waiting to hear about DLA. I have tried to give a full picture of the situation in the hope I can get some guidance on how best to approach the bank for help. Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
    Many thanks for taking the time to read.

Re: Desperate to help them

Clueless

can you find out just a bit more information, has there been a gap they didn't pay? if so how long?
    overdrafts are a bit different and not usually my area
    You say it got turned into a current account, did the bank just do this? did your DD sgn anything then? Baically did she agree to the change of contract , I don't think they are allowed to change it to an account which puts her at an immediate disadvantage, ie and account with an overdraft limit of 1000 which immediately puts her over, therefore incurring charges
    you should also look at the hardship criteria which no doubt applies here

I hope your lovely wee grandson improves and I think the most important thing at the moment is for your DD and hubby to concentrate on getting the best possible care for him.
    No doubt a couple of the experts will trot along, but give some thought to the stuff I've mentioned.

xxx

Comment

Thank you ELD not just for the practical stuff but for your very kind words, my daughter is here later so I will check the details and post later.
      I'm doing great and staying very strong and dealing with all the practical things I can, that is until someone asks "are you ok" then I just disintergrate.
      Update later

Comment

Hi Clueless,
        Goodness, your poor daughter and grandson, what a nightmare for your family. I know how I'd feel if it was my grandson and getting stress from the bank is the last thing they need right now.
        Could we have a little more info to help find the way forward?
        As ELD suggested, was there any period of at least 6 years (5 in Scotland) when your daughter didn't pay anything into the account or admit the debt?
        Has it been defaulted yet? ie has she had a Default Notice threatening termination of the account if she doesn't settle it...if so when? (Those charges should stop once it's defalted/terminated)
        Do they have other non priority debts...credit cards/loans etc and if so what's the situation with them?
        Are they particularly concerned about their credit record ( some options involve this being trashed but if it already is there's nothing to lose).
        Do they rent or own?

Sorry for all the questions but I've asked a lot at once to save time!

I'll ask Niddy to have a look in as you're understandably distressed and we need to get this sorted for you asap.
        Take heart, keep your chin up and try not to worry,

Hugs,
        Shep x

Comment

Send the telephone threat off and then ignore these clowns.

Jesus, you have better things to worry about - if they can't afford it then they can't afford it. Best case, if it helps, we can ask our DMP guy to basically get it sorted so you can pay £1 per month for infinity - or you ignore them until such point they get heavy - even if they try and enforce, any right minded judge will see affordability and possibly quash it anyway, its a grand - the bank should hang their heads in shame.

I am minded to write in and have a go but to be fair it's not really wise to get into dialogue, best wait till they sell it then we can hit the DCA with a few problems.

* In the meantime if you have access to online still, go in and change your number to the free one we allow on here.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

LOL I just pm'd you about this thread and here you are already

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherdess View Post
              LOL I just pm'd you about this thread and here you are already
              haha I was on the ball for once
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi Niddy & Shep
                Thank you for the swift responses really appreciate all the help. She still had online access so have given them the new number hopefully that will put paid to the phone calls, harrasment template gone.
                I will try and answer the questions. She rents her home LA, other debts are
                O/D with LTSB £1000 since 2009 reducing at £20pm (they are currently happy with that arrangement)
                Car finance Close Motor Finance Oct 2011 £1200 currently paying £98pm upto date no arrears.
                Santander store card 2004 balance £400 currently paying minimum payment and up to date no arrears.
                Creation Loans (DFS) 2010 balance £500 upto date no arrears.

HSBC 2002 as a student account with a £250 o/d limit increased with every year and converted to a graduate account 2008 o/d limit increased to £1250 (although she never graduated and told the bank so) it happened automatically. Between 2008 and 2011 had been paying the odd amount into account and reduced the balance on the o/d to £1000, all interest free and no charges. In 2010 interest and charges were added to the account each month which cancelled any payment off the capital owed.
                In Jan 2012 paperwork recieved advising that as you have failed to pay in a minimum of £500pm to the account it was being changed to a current account in line with there current terms and conditions, she never signed anything. Due to charges and interest she is now over the agreed o/d limit hence all the phone calls.
                Niether her or hubby has a great credit rating not because they have lots of debt but because they have had a very limited credit history. They would rather not trash thier record although they appreciate it may be inevitable.
                I hope I have provided the information you need we really appreciate all your help. Please ask away if you need any thing else. Back later

Comment

Hi clueless,
                  Thanks for that...and well done on getting them to change the number. That should save them a lot of hassle for a start.
                  See what Niddy says now we have the bigger picture, but I imagine we wait now till they get fed up of ringing with no answer and start writing...then we'll deal with whatever they send. I forsee a Niddy special...
                  Tell them not to worry
                  Shep xx

Comment

Hi hun

just wanted to pop in and send you and your family my best wishes - as everyone has said your daughter has far more pressing things going on than to worry about this hassle.

Don't worry you know you are in the right place

xx

Comment

Glad you are here. I've had my fair share of health and family issues over the past three years and also want to tell you you are in the right place.

I had lost hope until I came here, and found out that the Financial "industry" is really as thick as people say they are! Once you fight back, often using the same points of law they are using (or mis-using) then they back off 98% of the time.

My best wishes to your Grandson, his parents and yourselves. Stay fighting - you will usually win!
                      []Remember. Everytime a Soldier or Policemen loses thier job, everytime a school can't afford a book, everytime a streetlight has to be turned off - a bankers greed, incompetence and ineptitude played a large part. In Financial Services?, in a Bank? Then think on....you are helping this process along....

Comment

Hi I have an update any suggestions on what to do next please?
                        My DD recieved a letter yesterday from HSBC in response to the telephone harrasment template basically say's that as you had gone over the o/d limit (because of the charges and interest) you went on to auto dialler sorry you feel harrased not our intention but this needs to be resolved asap pay enough money into the account within next 7 days to bring the account back to within limit. You must phone us on reciept of this letter to resolve this issue.
                        The news on the wee grandson is worse than at first thought and each day seems to bring some more bad news, my DD is using every ounze of strength she has to cope with the devastating news and care for a very very sick baby I am trying to do all I can to help with this particular problem and really appreciate all the support and kind words you guys have offered. I am her support, you guys are mine. Many thanks as always

Comment

Has you daughter ( or yourself on her behalf) written to the bank to tell them what the situation is with your grandson?

They may back off abit if they knew???

Comment

Originally posted by mgfboy View Post
                            Has you daughter ( or yourself on her behalf) written to the bank to tell them what the situation is with your grandson?

They may back off abit if they knew???
                            So sorry to hear what you are all going through at the moment. mgfboy may be correct though.

Any right thinking individual could not possibly fail to look upon this situation with sympathy.

Take care.

Comment

Thank you SC for your kind words.
                              I did think about writing to the bank but I will be guided by Niddy (post 5) he has never let me down yet, at least the phone calls have stopped for now I guess we just wait and see what they do next. I am just so thankfull for all the support from the guys on this site a kind word here a suggestion there justs make the world of difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X