GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Default on CRA vs Default s87 / s88 CCA1974 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default on CRA vs Default s87 / s88 CCA1974

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default on CRA vs Default s87 / s88 CCA1974

There is a lot of confusion around where people seem to think that before a lender can issue a default entry against you (on your credit file) that they must adhere to s.87 & s.88 of the CCA or similar. This is not true!

There are two clear definitions for the term 'Default' and below you'll see them and the main purpose and reasoning behind them.

Default on Credit File
    In order to be defaulted on your credit file the lender must first follow ICO Guidelines on Issuance of Default Notices. The latest version of this document is called: Principles for the Reporting of Arrears, Arrangements and Defaults at Credit Reference Agencies. You can access and read the document below (towards bottom of post - click the attachment).

It's important to pay attention to part 4 of the guide -
    If you fall into arrears on your account, or you do not keep to the revised terms of an arrangement, a default may be recorded to show that the relationship has broken down, as a general guide, this may occur when you are 3 months in arrears, and normally by the time you are 6 months in arrears.

There are exceptions to this which may result in a default being recorded at a later stage, such as secured or long term loans e.g. mortgages, or if the product operates in a more flexible way e.g. current accounts, student loans, home credit. If an arrangement is agreed (see Principle 3 above), a default would not normally be registered unless the terms of that arrangement are broken.

So in theory what that means is that before a default is registered against you with the credit record agencies (CRA's) you must be at least 3 months into your relationship breakdown, ie missed 3 contractual payments or you've come to some other arrangement to clear a debt that has subsequently broken down. There are exceptions, such as bank accounts or if they allow a DMP etc in which case it seems the lenders just add a default when they see fit - sometimes years later!

That is it. It's that easy for them to add a default marker against you.

We always suggest that you get this over and done with early doors if you're likely to get one years later, as it only lasts for 6 years so if your DMP is 10 years long you're actually probably better off getting defaulted first as that only lasts 6 years whereas the DMP will carry 6 years trailing DPM markers AFTER the end of the plan!

Default via s.87 / s.88 CCA1974
    This is entirely different to the information above. This route is the legal route the lender must take prior to enforcing the debt ie trying to take you to court. It has nothing to do with a credit file and bears no impact to anything on your credit record. For instance, you could get a Default Notice in line with s.87 relatively soon after stopping payments yet the lender may not actually default you via the credit agency for several months, especially if they follow guidelines which state they 'should' add it within 3-6 months (but not all do).

The below should explain the provision of s.87 & s.88 and show why it's absolutely nothing to do with, and entirely separate, to your credit file.

s.87 Consumer Credit Act 1974 - Need for Default Notice

(1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement;
    (a) to terminate the agreement, or
    (b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or
    (c) to recover possession of any goods or land, or
    (d) to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or
    (e) to enforce any security.

(2) Subsection (1) does not prevent the creditor from treating the right to draw upon any credit as restricted or deferred, and taking such steps as may be necessary to make the restriction or deferment effective.

(3) The doing of an act by which a floating charge becomes fixed is not enforcement of a security.

(4) Regulations may provide that subsection (1) is not to apply to agreements described by the regulations.

s.88 Consumer Credit Act 1974 - Contents and effect of Default Notice

(1) The default notice must be in the prescribed form and specify;
    (a) the nature of the alleged breach;
    (b) if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date before which that action is to be taken;
    (c) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach, and the date before which it is to be paid.

(2) A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than fourteen days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) before the date so specified or (if no requirement is made under subsection (1)) before those seven days have elapsed.

(3) The default notice must not treat as a breach failure to comply with a provision of the agreement which becomes operative only on breach of some other provision, but if the breach of that other provision is not duly remedied or compensation demanded under subsection (1) is not duly paid, or (where no requirement is made under subsection (1)) if the fourteen days mentioned in subsection (2) have elapsed, the creditor or owner may treat the failure as a breach and section 87(1) shall not apply to it.

(4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it.

(5) A default notice making a requirement under subsection (1) may include a provision for the taking of action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) at any time after the restriction imposed by subsection (2) will cease, together with a statement that the provision will be ineffective if the breach is duly remedied or the compensation duly paid.
    Attached Files
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Re: Default on CRA vs Default s87 / s88 CCA1974

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
    We always suggest that you get this over and done with early doors if you're likely to get one years later, as it only lasts for 6 years so if your DMP is 10 years long you're actually probably better off getting defaulted first as that only lasts 6 years whereas the DMP will carry 6 years trailing DPM markers AFTER the end of the plan!
    +1 one this. I was on a DMP and two creditors continued to add 6 month late payment markers with the CRA's three years later, with no actual default lodged.

Formal complaint with the CRA's and quoting the above legislation is what was required for these entries to be removed from the CRA files and the file to be updated with accurate default dates. This is a deliberate and spiteful act of retaliation that lenders use on those who fall into arrears, as they try to screw your credit history up not just for 6 years but for up to 12 (depending on when they add the default), if you let them get away with it.

SnV
    "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

very useful document, thanks Niddy!
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Surprised at the lack of activity on this thread.....
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I have read through this. I have Never checked with any credit reference agencies, really can't see the point as any file will be trashed by Capital 1, Barclaycard, Lloyds, etc.
          Regarding default notices under S87 & 88. I have had several defective ones in the past.

Current situation on default, Barclays Bank have not issued a S87 notice, despite account now 9 months delinquent. They are also adding interest every month.
          Should they have defaulted me by now and stopped interest?

Comment

Barclays appear to be a law unto themselves, I don't think one desk knows what the other is doing and change the rules to suit the day/time/mood as they think fit.

Comment

Great post NID. Does this change anything for my situation? Last payment made October 2006.

RoSo payments taken from November 2006 until February/March 2008. Date of CRA Default: March '09.

Credit card - no DMP or anything else

Comment

Lloyds have been doing this to me, with regards to the late payment markers.

TibetanMonk
                On Debt Row

AAD has so much to offer and wants so little back. Take advantage while you can.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwatch View Post
                  Barclays appear to be a law unto themselves, I don't think one desk knows what the other is doing and change the rules to suit the day/time/mood as they think fit.
                  Very interesting nightwatch.

I was having a look on Noddle to check dates of my defaults (I stopped paying all of mine bar one in May/June 09) most defaults are dated within 7 months. Except two, one is Barclaycard which is dated January 11 and the other is Littlewoods (Barclays connection) and this is dated Nov 10.

Comment

Surprised at the lack of activity on this thread.....
                    Still surprised people aren't reading this yet we're being asked questions based on it.

Mods - please refer default questions to this thread to avoid confusion and repeated requests for explanations. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TibetanMonk View Post
                      Lloyds have been doing this to me, with regards to the late payment markers.

Which CRA is that, it must be an overdraft otherwise they must default you. Is it an OD?

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                        I have had several defective ones in the past.

Current situation on default, Barclays Bank have not issued a S87 notice, despite account now 9 months delinquent. They are also adding interest every month.
                        Should they have defaulted me by now and stopped interest?
                        1. defective ones from Barclays?
                        2. Is it an OD or a card? If a card - they're in breach. If OD they can default you upon the anniversary (review) when they remove the facility - which is when s.86-88 kick in. Interest is applicable until default so depends on the type of account you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow2981 View Post
                          Great post NID. Does this change anything for my situation? Last payment made October 2006.

RoSo payments taken from November 2006 until February/March 2008. Date of CRA Default: March '09.

Credit card - no DMP or anything else
                          This should be SB / Default clear. RoSO cannot affect SB anyway but the fact is RoSO is not YOU making the monthly payment, hence it should have been defaulted on 2006 with the CRA's - 2007 if if was a bank account overdraft.

We've discussed this before haven't we? Maybe via email

Comment

Originally posted by marypoppins View Post
                            Very interesting nightwatch.

I was having a look on Noddle to check dates of my defaults (I stopped paying all of mine bar one in May/June 09) most defaults are dated within 7 months. Except two, one is Barclaycard which is dated January 11 and the other is Littlewoods (Barclays connection) and this is dated Nov 10.
                            I'll create a guide for our new AAD+ section which will help you get such defaults removed or correctly applied. Littlewoods is a card, so if you last paid June 2009, they MUST default you by March 2010. 9 months is the maximum. The ICO would need a damned good excuse from Barclays to find in their favour.

Comment

This should be SB / Default clear. RoSO cannot affect SB anyway but the fact is RoSO is not YOU making the monthly payment, hence it should have been defaulted on 2006 with the CRA's - 2007 if if was a bank account overdraft.

We've discussed this before haven't we? Maybe via email
                              Yes we have I just wondered if this was grounds for demanding early removal without months of fighting (by which time it would have fallen off now anyway) and possibly even some compo for the 3 years I have been getting declined credit (such as mortgage) based on recent case law...

That's what I meant by does this change anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X