GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script AA Motor insurance - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AA Motor insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AA Motor insurance

12 months ago I took out AA car insurance, which had free breakdown cover..and 6 months in they offered Relay for £10 for the remainder of the cover period.

All was well..I was happy with the price of £120 ( saving of £100 from my previous insurers)...the Policy runs until April 16th.

Last month I made a few enquiries , Gocompare etc, and they still had all my details saved from last year (good) and sorted me some quotes for 2014/15..and AA were again the cheapest at £145. Cool I thought..no need to do anything other than wait for the renewal letters from AA.

Two weeks later AA quote me £240 to renew...and also 'tell' me the breakdown cover has been upgraded to 'silver' cover and £136 will be taken from account on 16th April.

I rang them up, first about car insurance..to cancel (thinking I would then take the AA cover off the website GoCompare)..but during the conversation the guy asked why i was cancelling, I said I'd had a cheaper quote..'Oh' he says..we have an offer where we'll undercut your like for like quote..how much was it ? I told him whee I'd got the quote and said it was £145.. Okay he said., we'll do that for £144 then...do you mind telling me who quoted you ? he said...Yes , I said..yourselves !! Ha ha..

Anyway, that was sorted but then he said 'you have continuous renewal but we are stopping doing that now, so can we (AA) take it from the existing DD mandate you have (I pay monthly)..sure I said, but I don't want any continual renewal on my policy...fine he said , sorted..

I then rang the AA Breakdown/Recovery section and told them I didn't want to renew the cover...she told me this was on continual renewal..I had signed up for this. I argued I didn't sign up for £136 upgrade..she got stroppy..then I asked why continual renewal applied when I'd just spoken to the insurance section and they said they'd stopped doing it...'Oh' she says, yes you do have the option now ! Right I said, I don't want the upgrade, but if you're doing any offers like last year I might be interested..Okay she says, I'll send something out to you..meanwhile I'll leave the DD mandate here and if I don't hear from you in 2 weeks we'll charge you the £136 !! WHat ? Nooooo, cancel it I said...(mutterings from the other end of the phone)...In the end she said she would do. What a hassle !!

Next, I go online to my Bank account and cancel the DD they set up for the breakdown cover (the £10)..and cancelled one of the DD's they set up which had never had any payments from it so far (just in case)...leaving just the DD for the installment plan.

3 days later a DEFAULT NOTICE WARNING arrived from AA.(headed with FCA lettering).You are in breach of T & Cs, you have been charged £12.00..if you do not take action WE WILL TAKE £143 from your bank account and terminate your agreement.

Now bearing in mind this is car insurance, due to start some 3 weeks in the future (so not due yet)..well I was livid ...

So i rang them up..newcastle...Oh this is a standard computer generated response when a DD is returned as cancelled from the Bank..we have to do it to comply with the law.. Erm, it's not even due yet..but don't you have a duty to ensure the facts are right before you default..(Durkin)...or why didn't you check if it was an error..or ring me, email me...but this ? I was mad...the cheek...Did I sign a credit agreement for the 2014/15 payment plan..nope..did the payment plan from 2013/14 just roll over ? nope. So what's it all about.

In the end it was in fact partly my error, as the guy told me the 2014/15 installments would come out of the existing DD, but they in fact set up a new one..and that was the one I deleted/cancelled with my Bank...oops, but not all my fault.

Just shows though doesn't it..how easy you can get embroiled in this stuff...

Re: AA Motor insurance

Continuous renewals are evil!

My car insurances runs out in April too so I'm looking at quotes...none as low as £145! I've been driving 40 years, no points on my licence and no accidents etc in the last 5 years (a lot longer than that)...it's all down to postcode
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
      Continuous renewals are evil!

My car insurances runs out in April too so I'm looking at quotes...none as low as £145! I've been driving 40 years, no points on my licence and no accidents etc in the last 5 years (a lot longer than that)...it's all down to postcode
      It's a right scam this continual renewal business...the initiative transfers from them to offer you a product , to you to have to decline it...but even when I cancelled the DD they still had the option to charge my bank with the product price AND the £12 penalty !! How can they do that ? I did write a letter of complaint to the AA about the process...but was fobbed off with the usual blah dee blah

It is cheap though, so i'm not going to cut off my nose over this (metaphorically speaking...) and yes i'm in a rural area in yorkshire so low premiums...but not everyone will have access to a computer to check out the prices and find out they are selling the very same product for £100 cheaper... and as a renewal customer you could argue I should be getting the very best deals...a point I made in my complaint...

i'll be checking my bank account on the 16th though...no danger

Comment

My renewal quote is almost double some of the other quotes I've got. It's almost as if they don't want your business...or are hoping that you'll just renew regardless.
        Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

My renewal quote is almost double some of the other quotes I've got. It's almost as if they don't want your business...or are hoping that you'll just renew regardless.
          Hoping you don't shop around..? .I can feel a bit of regulation being called for...like for instance what is a no claims discount..discount from what figure ??

Comment

The oafs seem unable to understand that it should be easier - and less expensive - to retain existing customers than to keep trying to find new customers.

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
            Hoping you don't shop around..? .I can feel a bit of regulation being called for...like for instance what is a no claims discount..discount from what figure ??
            There may be a call for regulation, but I doubt any will be forthcoming under the present kakistocracy.

Neither Cameron nor Clegg would wish to upset their bum-chums from Slough Grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by cardiac arrest View Post
              12 months ago I took out AA car insurance, which had free breakdown cover..and 6 months in they offered Relay for £10 for the remainder of the cover period.

All was well..I was happy with the price of £120 ( saving of £100 from my previous insurers)...the Policy runs until April 16th.

Last month I made a few enquiries , Gocompare etc, and they still had all my details saved from last year (good) and sorted me some quotes for 2014/15..and AA were again the cheapest at £145. Cool I thought..no need to do anything other than wait for the renewal letters from AA.

Two weeks later AA quote me £240 to renew...and also 'tell' me the breakdown cover has been upgraded to 'silver' cover and £136 will be taken from account on 16th April.

I rang them up, first about car insurance..to cancel (thinking I would then take the AA cover off the website GoCompare)..but during the conversation the guy asked why i was cancelling, I said I'd had a cheaper quote..'Oh' he says..we have an offer where we'll undercut your like for like quote..how much was it ? I told him whee I'd got the quote and said it was £145.. Okay he said., we'll do that for £144 then...do you mind telling me who quoted you ? he said...Yes , I said..yourselves !! Ha ha..

Anyway, that was sorted but then he said 'you have continuous renewal but we are stopping doing that now, so can we (AA) take it from the existing DD mandate you have (I pay monthly)..sure I said, but I don't want any continual renewal on my policy...fine he said , sorted..

I then rang the AA Breakdown/Recovery section and told them I didn't want to renew the cover...she told me this was on continual renewal..I had signed up for this. I argued I didn't sign up for £136 upgrade..she got stroppy..then I asked why continual renewal applied when I'd just spoken to the insurance section and they said they'd stopped doing it...'Oh' she says, yes you do have the option now ! Right I said, I don't want the upgrade, but if you're doing any offers like last year I might be interested..Okay she says, I'll send something out to you..meanwhile I'll leave the DD mandate here and if I don't hear from you in 2 weeks we'll charge you the £136 !! WHat ? Nooooo, cancel it I said...(mutterings from the other end of the phone)...In the end she said she would do. What a hassle !!

Next, I go online to my Bank account and cancel the DD they set up for the breakdown cover (the £10)..and cancelled one of the DD's they set up which had never had any payments from it so far (just in case)...leaving just the DD for the installment plan.

3 days later a DEFAULT NOTICE WARNING arrived from AA.(headed with FCA lettering).You are in breach of T & Cs, you have been charged £12.00..if you do not take action WE WILL TAKE £143 from your bank account and terminate your agreement.

Now bearing in mind this is car insurance, due to start some 3 weeks in the future (so not due yet)..well I was livid ...

So i rang them up..newcastle...Oh this is a standard computer generated response when a DD is returned as cancelled from the Bank..we have to do it to comply with the law.. Erm, it's not even due yet..but don't you have a duty to ensure the facts are right before you default..(Durkin)...or why didn't you check if it was an error..or ring me, email me...but this ? I was mad...the cheek...Did I sign a credit agreement for the 2014/15 payment plan..nope..did the payment plan from 2013/14 just roll over ? nope. So what's it all about.

In the end it was in fact partly my error, as the guy told me the 2014/15 installments would come out of the existing DD, but they in fact set up a new one..and that was the one I deleted/cancelled with my Bank...oops, but not all my fault.

Just shows though doesn't it..how easy you can get embroiled in this stuff...
              Are you aware the FCA is investigating the insurance industry? I would inform them of your experience

http://www.fca.org.uk/news/the-fca-l...rison-websites

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23209067

Comment

Shambles isn't it?! All this discounts for no claims is a load of rubbish too. Insurance, don't get me started!
                When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Every year when I go to renew my RAC cover, the renewal is nearly 200 quid for me and the wifes car. All we do, is ring up and say, you have a new customer offer online for £100, and they say, ok we will give you that then. LOL

As for insurance, I always wait for the renewal, if its close to what I paid last year I keep it, if not, I go elsewhere.

Comment

Fact is it does not pay to stay with the same insurer as you can guarantee to beat the renewal every year, the days when business valued your custom is long gone.

Comment

Another year & another renewal notice = driving for over 50 years (wow no fault claims if ever an accident) and another increase in Renewal Notice of £70.00 +, so I have already done my usual started looking months ahead of renewal and secured a renewal for me & the O.H. £130.00 cheaper than RIAS, same old story every year these Cretins (Insurers) Taking Joe Public For a ride, pity their sick minds,

Same as Green flag = Double renewal until you ring and state a complaint in price they then offer a bit less< OH! I say your site says £XX.04 pence O.K. I will ask Supervisor, well it is £XXX.06 pence Oh! to change Direct Debit I will have to pass you to accounts, then the lady states what is it all about? I inform here of events & low and behold she indicates the operator must be new employee, & O.K. that price on internet is agreed and the necessary done there and then, with apologies for incident

Comment

Car insurance business is the biggest scam, run by the biggest fraudsters on the planet (worse the bankers)..If you simply want to get a price for car insurance...like using gocompare or whatever, they'll list you 20 or 30 in price order...but all the quoted are for different types of cover, not like for like..excess is different, what you're covered for is different, some include breakdown some don't..the law should ensure one basic level of insurance whcih insurers quote, so it's like for like. then if you want to 'buy extras' you can .. Yes, you can dowmload the T&C's but who has got time to analyse all these...no one..you'd need a spreadsheet of something.. tbh I don't think most people even read the t&c's ..you want comp insurance ? excess £100 ? right that costs £xx , yeah fine thanks..end of.

who's the regulator of this load of twallop anyway ? I saw an ad in the co-op for co-op car insurance,with a bonus voucher for co-op members (like me) ..so I went online, bought the insurance then said when do |I get my bonus vouchers -- oh, you don't sir, we're a different part of the co-op to the one that is doing the offer....eh ? so there are 2 co-op car insurance businesses..one woth offer one without .. pah ! anyway, just for fun I rang the other co-op insurance , the one doing the offer, and got a quote..and guess what.. yep the price was higher by the the same amount as the voucher offer (almost)... like I say, the whole business is a blooming scam. [end of rant]

Comment

you are right - even did quotes in the recent past on Comparison sites also Insurers sites, low & behold got certain cost quotes!

went onto Top cash back & quidco & the quotes were higher = equated to cash back amounts? could not believe it so I tried again & same result, went to Insurance site in the end.

Comment

Even noticed on Flight searches- quote for a flight, come back later same day flight increase, leave it a day or two then search again then get a price search shortly after flight increase, clear cookies out and start again, then prices back to original.

some people state flight prices change during the day due to demand etc = that would not account for the searches I made as a test! even searched a flight came out of site and straight back in and difference was £110+

so it is a game they play, worst ones are the Travel Agency sites! within minutes of starting fill in forms then notification flight increase - lesson try to use Airline Sites = usually only a couple of quid more also if problem Airline will sort for you BUT Agency used then you have to go to the Agency in most cases, who are clueless in some cases = frustration for just a couple of quid extra.

Comment

Working...
                            X