GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Well .... - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well ....

... I did it!

As of yesterday, I am now Officially BR. Do I get a badge or anything??

Procrastination over with!

It reached decision point, where my tenant had moved out and the house was in a mess. I didn't want that hassle again, especially when I wasn't making any money from the property. I'd decided to go for it, and had to arrange the date and time. During which, I got 2 months in arrears with the mortgage payment.

I moved all my Direct Debits to the 1st of the month, as I'm paid on the last working day.

I spent the first week of the month withdrawing money like mad, to get the £700 for court, and my cash for the month.

I filled in the forms the night before ... BIG MISTAKE. Get those two forms (6.27 and 6.28) filled in as soon as you can ... they are horrendous!

The week before I made an appointment at court for 9:30am. I got to court at 9:15am. Waited for the clerk to arrive. The waiting room already had a few people in there, and she said "Can I help". I had to explain that I needed to file for BR. This was the most embarrassing part of the whole time there.

The clerk sent me down the cashiers office, which apparently was closed until 10am ... but they open it up early for BR candidates. Excellent ... money paid, forms submitted ... I had to re-sign them in front of the cashier as I'd signed them the night before! ooops!

I was then sent back to the clerks waiting room. I was sat waiting until about 11 am, as the judge was busy with other cases.

11:10am I entered the judges chambers (his personal office, not the court room). He greeted me and asked me to sit down. He confirmed I was there to petition for BR; asked if I had sought advice; confirmed the total unsecured and secured debt. He then said "Do you believe this is the best course for you". He then signed the order, and wished me "Good luck". I was out of there in less than 5 minutes.

I popped back to the cashiers office, where they gave me a copy of the order; the details of the OR's office, and took my contact details again.

The OR had called before I'd even managed to get home, and they took some basic details.

I've since spoken to the OR two or three more times, for general queries ... and they are very friendly and polite.

I still have to go through my SOA with them, and I shall assume that I'll be paying an IPA for three years, and not sure how skint I shall be.

But for anyone considering BR, I really do feel a sense of relief. You're not judged (per se), no-one shouts at you and asks why you've got into that mess, and the people at the OR are lovely to deal with. The paperwork is long winded, but it's aimed at small businesses as well as individuals and has to cover every base. Take time to complete it, be honest and accurate and you'll be fine.
    "Cheap is good, but FREE is better!"

Re: Well ....

I even asked the OR ...

"Do I need to wait until your investigation is concluded before I can approach my bank to confirm I can still use my 'basic' bank account?"

The OR said "So long as it's for the purpose of your salary, and it doesn't have lots of savings in there ... then we have no interest in it". She went on to say "The bank should be receiving a letter from us ... but it's their ultimate decision as to if you can continue to use it. Feel free to call them".

Cool, so I should be good to go with my bank account still.

Comment

hi FF...sounds like it went smoothly in court for you! It is a straightforward process, usually only hampered by your own feelings! I hope this takes a weight off your shoulders and you can look to the future x

Comment

Well done on completing it - not sure I would have done it myself, given your circs but you already had your mind made up I guess.

Moral here - when you've nothing left to worry about, just do it - it will relieve a lot of the creditor stresses but you're also likely to be very heavily moderated in your everyday expenditure which is why it aint the best method for everyone!

Fiscal - well done
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by confused76 View Post
          hi FF...sounds like it went smoothly in court for you! It is a straightforward process, usually only hampered by your own feelings! I hope this takes a weight off your shoulders and you can look to the future x
          Oh it will most certainly take weight off my shoulders and I can start to move forward.

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
          Well done on completing it - not sure I would have done it myself, given your circs but you already had your mind made up I guess.

Moral here - when you've nothing left to worry about, just do it - it will relieve a lot of the creditor stresses but you're also likely to be very heavily moderated in your everyday expenditure which is why it aint the best method for everyone!

Fiscal - well done

I'd got the fight in me for the UE's ... but with the house and car too, it tipped it over the edge for BR.

Most certainly, if everything else is secure, then just go for it, get it over with.

That I must say is my only concern, that I will be living by a very tight budget day-to-day.

If I just had cards and loans ... UE would be the option every day of the week.

Comment

Just caught up....really pleased fiscal to hear it all went well for you!

Comment

Originally posted by fiscalfool View Post
              ... I did it!

leave it with me i'll see what I can knock up for you!

Comment

Hi FF, just caught up too and we're always here if you need any more help.

Best wishes
                If...x

... I did it!

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

I even asked the OR ...

"Do I need to wait until your investigation is concluded before I can approach my bank to confirm I can still use my 'basic' bank account?"

The OR said "So long as it's for the purpose of your salary, and it doesn't have lots of savings in there ... then we have no interest in it". She went on to say "The bank should be receiving a letter from us ... but it's their ultimate decision as to if you can continue to use it. Feel free to call them".

Cool, so I should be good to go with my bank account still.
                  Wish you the best of luck for the future.

Comment

Yes the forms are tiresome and long to get the exact details down.

thats the furthest i got with BR, ended cancelling the appointment, due to find the UE route.

Yes its not what most people assume, (shoutin, dagger eyes, making the person feel small on the inside as well as the outside).......its straight forward bing, bang, bash, boosh....relaxed

congrats FF, wish you all the best of luck for the future
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Good luck FF, takes guts to do it and as long as you feel its best for you, then it is.

Don't disappear, you can still help here by sharing the experience

Dopeyxx

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words. At least I can now start to look to the future, and there is an end date in sight.

Still really hoping my parents don't find out. I can really do without them having that stress and anxiety.

Comment

Hi FF

I'd just like to wish you all the best for the future.

Like 5corpio, I'd only got as far as starting to complete the forms for BR when I discovered UE, which I then decided was the best path for me to take.

As Dopey says, don't disappear. You have a wealth of experience to share.
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just seen this

well done i know things have been up and down for you and if this is what you think is best then I am pleased for you.

As the others have said please stick around even if it just for a chat

Good luck

xx

Comment

I'll certainly be sticking around folks. I'll try and post a diary of my liaisons with the OR, to provide some information for others.

Comment

Working...
                              X