GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Bankruptcy - What's In It For The Creditor? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bankruptcy - What's In It For The Creditor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bankruptcy - What's In It For The Creditor?

Hi.

So, long story short, after being quite a bit in debt for several reasons, I went bankrupt in December last year. Since then, life has been great and hassle free.

There is one debt still ongoing though. I have not declared it. The reason being, I owe a friend £700, but I owe this money to a friend because she helped me out using her business. If that makes sense. The debt final amount was from a few months before I declared bankruptcy.

She's in no hurry for the money back, but because she helped me out so much, I feel guilty as hell about it. There is no way in the near future I will have that amount of money to pay her back.

So, my question is, if I went official about it and declared this debt to her business, would she get anything out of it? I have no assets whatsoever (I may have a couple of pensions somewhere and perhaps some PPI owing, but am not rich by any stretch!).

Thanks.
    Last edited by eugenespeed; 21 February 2014, 22:39.

Re: Bankruptcy - What's In It For The Debtor?

Not sure you can just 'add' this debt to your bankruptcy, if that's what you mean. As you've already been declared bankrupt, you have to declare all debts to be included at the time of going through the bankruptcy, cannot add at a later date.

Comment

Re: Bankruptcy - What's In It For The Debtor?

Originally posted by Loopyloo View Post
      Not sure you can just 'add' this debt to your bankruptcy, if that's what you mean. As you've already been declared bankrupt, you have to declare all debts to be included at the time of going through the bankruptcy, cannot add at a later date.
      Thanks Loopy for your reply.

For some reason I was under the impression that you could "add" debts to BR, as long as they were from before when you declared.

If I'm wrong, that ah! Nadgers!

I'm lucky as she is a friend, so I've got an amicable deal going with her. If I needed to resolve this debt officially, what would be the best option?

Comment

Re: Bankruptcy - What's In It For The Creditor?

You can add any debts you become "aware" of "after" BR, if the debt was incurred, "before" you were made BR

So yes you can add it.

Your friend, if its a business debt, will be able to write it off as a bad debt in her accounts, thus reducing her tax liability.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by eugenespeed View Post
          (Edit: Oops, I meant Creditor in the title!)
          I've changed the title for you.

Well you can include all debts except those mentioned below. If you include the debt you owe your friend, would you not lose their friendship?

Will any debts be excluded from my bankruptcy?

Although your liability for most debts will be written off once you are discharged, there are exceptions to this. Even after discharge you will still be personally liable for:
          • magistrates’ court fines;
          • student loans;
          • arrears of maintenance or maintenance payments ordered by a court;
          • Child Support Agency arrears;
          • debts you built up through fraud; and
          • debts you owe as a result of a personal injury claim against you.
          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

My main problem is, I don't want to lose their friendship, so I would really only be willing to "add" their debt to my BR if there was any advantage for them.

If not, I'd just let it go for the next couple of years and then pay them back when I can.

Comment

My main problem is, I don't want to lose their friendship, so I would really only be willing to "add" their debt to my BR if there was any advantage for them.

If not, I'd just let it go for the next couple of years and then pay them back when I can.
              SXGuy says they could right it off

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

Your friend, if its a business debt, will be able to write it off as a bad debt in her accounts, thus reducing her tax liability.
              Have a word with your friend and see what they say? Although I haven't said that......if you know what I mean
              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

I would also ask your friend, to have a "chat" with her accountant. He/She will know if its worth it or not.
                I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Just realised, I forgot to tell you I was discharged in December.

Comment

That's good, did you solve the money owed to your friend?

Comment

Just realised, I forgot to tell you I was discharged in December.
                      Congrats on reaching that. It's not easy.

Comment

Thanks you two.

I've paid most of it back in cash. She was very patient and I've paid it when I could. I'm still owing, but she's not chasing.

Comment

That must be a lovely feeling and you lucky to have such a good friend.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                            That must be a lovely feeling and you lucky to have such a good friend.
                            I feel more morally bound to pay her as she put me up when I was pretty much homeless.

I've paid just over half of it by now.

Comment

Working...
                            X