GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report

This thread is posted as a warning.

Historically my MOT expired at the same time as my road tax. This meant that I had to get an MOT and ensure insurance was renewed before I rolled up at the post office to get the tax disc.

On my latest car the MOT ran past both the tax and the insurance by a few months. I forgot to get the car MOT'd. There are no reminders unlike tax and insurance. It just didn't get renewed through lack if attention.

Ok, so on Sunday I was pulled over by the police. Their onboard computer system went "bling! No MOT" as I sedately drove past them. Their system known as ANPR not only picks up on tax, insurance but also expired MOT certificates. I believe they are also going to be adding expired photocatd drivers licences to the ANPR system as well (it is an offence carrying a fine of up to £1000 to have an expired drivers photocard - they last 10 years and must be renewed).

I don't know what will happen ref my expired MOT but I'll post it here. I got cautioned and was given a yellow traffic offence report notice, which talks about courses, fines, FPNs and magistrates court etc.

Fines can be up to £1000 but other websites are suggesting lower fines and possibly non-endorseable too. However the cop that pulled me over said it was endorseable so we shall see.

Re: Expired MOT and Traffic Offence Report

V O S A. It's all linked now....

----> https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ervices-agency
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that Blod. Hopefully if you were cautioned then that may be the end of it?

Cheers
      SA
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Make sure you have your MOT ASAP, in case you do hear anything further!

Comment

Hi. MOT done yesterday.

The cop filled in a long form with my details and gave me the yellow notice. It says they'll be in touch, so I haven't gotten away with it.

I just want to warn anyone else who thinks that they can hold out on their MOTs if they get their insurance and tax done first.

I'd also like to say that it's an urban myth that no MOT invalidates insurance. Insurers have to pay out on third party claims and further most policies do not invalidate if there's no MOT. Mine doesn't. Some forums are saying the police do you for invalid insurance if you have an expired MOT but that's not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Blodwin View Post
            I'd also like to say that it's an urban myth that no MOT invalidates insurance. Insurers have to pay out on third party claims and further most policies do not invalidate if there's no MOT. Mine doesn't. Some forums are saying the police do you for invalid insurance if you have an expired MOT but that's not the case.
            I can recall of a few cases where this has not been the case - that is not repair the insured vehicle. I was an apprentice at a busy main dealer agent which had a body shop and also a good friend with one of the assessors. Bottom line is: don't give them any reason not to pay out - because if they can wriggle out of it; they will.

Insurers will gladly take peoples money regardless although in the event of a claim expect the vehicle to be road worthy.

Cheers
            SA
            Last edited by SA Gold; 16 October 2013, 08:35.
            When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

I think most people have been guilty of not having an MOT as there is no obvious renewal system! My OH drove for a couple of months with no MOT and could / should have reported himself.......... That was pre ANPR!

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                I think most people have been guilty of not having an MOT as there is no obvious renewal system! My OH drove for a couple of months with no MOT and could / should have reported himself.......... That was pre ANPR!
                Yeah, its crazy for something which is statutory. Other than the sticker in the windscreen, or door pillar (if you are lucky) - there is nothing other than an SMS service (if still in play) which they want £1 i think for the liberty.

You try going over on the Road Fund License. No chance!

Cheers
                SA

Comment

Yeah it is easy and ANPR is another money spinner for the bizzies. But it's going to catch a lot of people out so get those MOT expiry dates diarised!!

I'm of the view that now they are doing this there should be an automatic reminder system like there is for road tax.

Comment

I'd go here - best site for advice regards the mot lapse --> http://forums.pepipoo.com
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Blodwin View Post

I'm of the view that now they are doing this there should be an automatic reminder system like there is for road tax.
                      Agreed. Why there isn't is beyond me.

Comment

http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/drivi...ut-an-mot.html

Comment

The testing station I use phones me every year two weeks before it runs out. It is that personal service that keeps me going back.

http://www.mothavant.co.uk/station_offline.asp

Comment

My local garage also sends us reminder letters for our MOT renewal. Another customer that keeps going back due to the service they offer

However, there are websites that will send you an email when your MOT is due, for example https://motremind.me/mot-reminders/
                            Just remember to update the website if you change your car!
                            If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Nothing received in the post yet. I read somewhere they have 14 days. Is that right?

Comment

Working...
                              X