GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Slickfm Community Charge bill from 1991-92 - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slickfm Community Charge bill from 1991-92

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slickfm Community Charge bill from 1991-92

Hiya all

Had a letter delivered to my parents address, from City Council demanding payment of £78 relating to non payment of community charge 20 years ago

I have challenged this by asking them to prove that I actually owe the money, they responded by saying that a liability order was issued in February 1993 so the debt is still recoverable, adding that the order was sent direct to me and they are not obliged to keep copies. I moved out of my parents address in March 92 and neither my parents or I have any recollection of receiving such an order!

Council have given me 14 days to pay up or face further action including more charges. Is there anyway that I can check to see if the liability order was even issued?

After digging around on the net there is a lot of this going on at the moment and it seems like desperate attempt by local council to get revenue in by chasing 20 year old debts

Grateful for any advice please!
    Fight the good fight and we will prevail
    Proud to be a member of the AAD community

Re: Slickfm Community Charge bill from 1991-92

Originally posted by Slickfm View Post
    Hiya all

Had a letter delivered to my parents address, from City Council demanding payment of £78 relating to non payment of community charge 20 years ago

I have challenged this by asking them to prove that I actually owe the money, they responded by saying that a liability order was issued in February 1993 so the debt is still recoverable, adding that the order was sent direct to me and they are not obliged to keep copies. I moved out of my parents address in March 92 and neither my parents or I have any recollection of receiving such an order!

Council have given me 14 days to pay up or face further action including more charges. Is there anyway that I can check to see if the liability order was even issued?

After digging around on the net there is a lot of this going on at the moment and it seems like desperate attempt by local council to get revenue in by chasing 20 year old debts

Grateful for any advice please!
    20 years ago?!..... and they have no records of obtaining a Liability Order?! I think they could be trying to pull a fast one...

Although this is not my area..... I would suggest that you issue a formal complaint to the council querying their demand for payment in the complete absence of absolutely anything to back it up with (by rec. delivery)!!

If they did indeed get a Liability Order and can prove that they got one, then the debt is payable. If they did not get a Liability Order at the time and more than 6 years have now passed, then it's too late for them to get one now.

So the crux of your complaint is for them to provide proof that a Liability Order was indeed obtained. On the face of things, it doesn't sound as if they can do that....

Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
      20 years ago?!..... and they have no records of obtaining a Liability Order?! I think they could be trying to pull a fast one...

Although this is not my area..... I would suggest that you issue a formal complaint to the council querying their demand for payment in the complete absence of absolutely anything to back it up with (by rec. delivery)!!

If they did indeed get a Liability Order and can prove that they got one, then the debt is payable. If they did not get a Liability Order at the time and more than 6 years have now passed, then it's too late for them to get one now.

So the crux of your complaint is for them to provide proof that a Liability Order was indeed obtained. On the face of things, it doesn't sound as if they can do that....

Hiya all,

Received a letter from a DCA giving me 14 days to make payment or face further action. Sent to my parents address where I haven't lived for over 20 years. Should my parents just send this back saying 'not at this address' or could the council trace where I am living now?

I have not been provided with any proof that I owe this money!

Comment

Hiya all,

Received a letter from a DCA giving me 14 days to make payment or face further action. Sent to my parents address where I haven't lived for over 20 years. Should my parents just send this back saying 'not at this address' or could the council trace where I am living now?

I have not been provided with any proof that I owe this money!
        They could return it yes..... but tell them to write "Not known at this address" and just drop it back in the nearest post box.

If the DCA wants to find you, they'll have to work a bit harder. Hopefully, they'll just piss off.
        Remember the mantra:

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by PriorityOne View Post
          They could return it yes..... but tell them to write "Not known at this address" and just drop it back in the nearest post box.

If the DCA wants to find you, they'll have to work a bit harder. Hopefully, they'll just piss off.
          Cheers P1, will do exactly that and see what happens next! This cannot have any further adverse effect on my credit file seeing as its over 20 years old, can it?

Comment

Cheers P1, will do exactly that and see what happens next! This cannot have any further adverse effect on my credit file seeing as its over 20 years old, can it?
            Any default that was issued would have dropped off yonks ago, so you shouldn't have any worries. Don't be too curious to request your credit file though, or they'll trace you through the linked addresses that you provide.

Just leave it.....
            Remember the mantra:

Comment

Working...
            X