GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Currys PC World Won't Accept A Return - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currys PC World Won't Accept A Return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currys PC World Won't Accept A Return

I bought a Toshiba 2Tb Hd on 29/08/2013 and took it out of the packaging to look at it and see if I really liked it.
    Over the w/e I saw a better Hd, a cheaper one with 1Tb more storage so today I tried to return the 2Tb one but when I got to the store they asked 'did I open it' and said yes, they said they could not accept it back as I had opened it.
    I don't believe this is correct, am I within my rights to be able to return it regardless of it being opened?
    I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Re: Currys PC World Won't Accept A Return

Hi Pooky,
    I think its down to the store to refund if not faulty. I believe Argos offer a 30-day no quibble return.
    I would have said its faulty mate as they wouldn't have any way of checking on the spot and more than likely just re-funded your card
    Could always go back and try another member of staff
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Already tried.
      While there the assistant asked her supervisor who said the same and then she saw the Manager who she also asked and he said the same.
      I am sure I am within my statutory rights to be able to return it.
      I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
        Already tried.
        While there the assistant asked her supervisor who said the same and then she saw the Manager who she also asked and he said the same.
        I am sure I am within my statutory rights to be able to return it.
        Um, im not too clued-up on this type of thing mate but would guess they would offer a refund on items no longer required if it hadn't been opened and therefore ready for re-sale.

If you really want a refund, could always go to another store (assuming there is one nearby) and just go in and play dumb.
        "I bought this and it doesn't work. Tried two different computers. I needed it urgently and therefore now bought another from another shop. Please refund me".
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Worth a go, I tried to do an exchange as I wanted the 3Tb Hd which is about £20 cheaper at a store about 1.5 miles away, there's another only 0.5 miles away, which I actually bought it from, I'll try there and then go and get the 3Tb Hd from the other store as they're the only one local who have one or I might get local store to get one in and be able to get it by 5pm tomorrow.

Comment

Thought I'd posted that last one earlier but I hadn't.
            I went to the store and told them it was faulty and no problem, they let me exchange it for the other one

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
              Thought I'd posted that last one earlier but I hadn't.
              I went to the store and told them it was faulty and no problem, they let me exchange it for the other one
              Happy Days!

Comment

Theres no requirement in law for a company to refund an item which is not faulty or fit for purpose. If you decide to change your mind, thats not their problem in law. Businesses which agree to return items for this reason, i.e no quibble return policies are at the discrestion of that business, its not a requirement in law.

Had the HD not worked, and to be honest, you could have said, "sorry but my PC doesnt reconise the HD can i return it" you may have got a better result.

But at the end of the day the only requirement PC world have, is to either exchange or repair if faulty.

I had to find this out when i had my own retail business some years ago.

EDIT: just seen you said it was faulty, good job!

Comment

TBH it wasn't faulty, I'd just found a 3TbHd for £5 less (not £20 as I'd mistakenly said earlier) and wanted to return the 2TbHd to swap it for the bigger one.

Moral of the story:- you gotta lie to get what you want (I gotta stop being too honest in life).

Comment

Always the best way when wanting to return an item if not faulty, i admit, unless i know the shop do refunds no question asked i always try and make the reason something which could resemble not fit for purpose lol

Comment

Faulty goods can be returned often after the guarantee has expired as there is an expectation of a certain life vs price. If you change your mind then it depends on the shop's policy. I have known people buy a items of clothing wear them to weddings or other occasions and then return them worn and dirty for a complete refund and they are put back on the shelf - yuk!

Many electronic products are DOA (dead on arrival) as the quality processes are exhaustive (sometimes). This costs is incorporated in the price. You would mind if there were a few dead pixels on a full price products, but for a 50% discounts you can cope with them. Returns are often sold off to resellers who then repair and sell them off at a discount.

With a faulty hard drive, there could be a problem, as it would normally be used to safeguard valuable data. So it would probably be sent back to the manufacturer where it would be tested against the benchmark and then probably dumped as the cost of diagnostic repair would be too expensive. So if too many people returned them, they would withdraw the product - constant improvement blah, blah, blah!

Comment

If you have ever been bought a computer online and been refused a refund by PC World/Currys because you "switched it on" then I have good news for you - you can get that refund and the company has no right to refuse it.

Anyone who buys anything online has a 14 days cooling off period, within which they can return a product and get a refund; that is the law. PC World/Currys however do not like to recognise this right when it comes to computers. They maintain that if you "use" a computer (ie switch it on) then you immediately invalidate your right to a refund and will refuse all refund requests from their customers.. They are not legally entitled to do this however!

I bought a computer online from Currys, switched it on and tested it. I then decided it was not right for me (too slow). I contacted the company and asked for a refund, however that was refused - seven times. I then took out a small claims court case - and hey presto, the company fell over itself to settle that case and pay the £25 costs it had incurred me.

The reason they settled is because they knew that they could not win the case as I clearly had the law on my side. They however have not changed their terms and conditions which contains this clause about not giving refunds if a computer is "used", clearly hoping they can get away with not refunding people unless they go to the bother of taking legal action.

If you are having this problem with this company then please post here and I will tell you how to get your money back. This disreputable company should not be allowed to get away with depriving you of your legal rights in this way and I would be only too happy to help ensure they don't!

Any questions, please ask away. I will check this regularly and give further details if required.

Comment

Hi Mark thank you for that, really useful to people.Where I worked for 24 yrs we offered 30 day change of mind although that was down to the company who decided folk do change their mind .x
                          if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                          X